Chapter 9 Sulking Son

John spoke only a few words when he came down for breakfast. Lauren tried to engage him conversation but he only responded with surly one word answers while he looked at his food.

Her heart broke as she watched her son brood over his breakfast. Lauren could not think of a time when he had been so angry with her. She was not sure if she had ever seen him this angry with anyone. Sure he had gotten upset a few times over the years but he usually  managed to get over it quickly.

But not this time she thought. This time he was holding onto his anger and was not letting it go anytime soon. A wall had been erected one, a massive one that she did not think she would ever break through.

And this wall pained her. Caused her more grief than any loss she had suffered before. And shattered her heart more than than ever lover ever had. Even worse then losing Jason twice.

"John." She said as she watched the sulking boy slowly eat his food. "John please talk to me." She said in a pleading tone.

"I'm really not in the talking mood." He replied looking at his bowl of oatmeal. 

"Come on John don't be like this."  Lauren said.

"You don't want me like this."  John looked at her blankly.

"Yes."  She said.

"Then let me talk to my father."  He said.

"Sorry I am not going to do that."  Lauren said.

"Then I guess I am going to be like this for awhile."  John looked back at his food.

Lauren was about to say something but then the side door opened.  A man in his early forties with black hair and brown eyes walked in.  "Good morning."  He said in a cheery tone.

She smiled slightly as she said "Good morning Sterling."  Lauren then got up and gave the man a kiss.  

Sterling Cooper looked at John and said "Hey John how are you doing?"

"Not too well."  John said as he dropped his spoon into his bowl. He then stood up and said "I'm going too my room."

"What's going with John."  Sterling asked.  "Don't tell me that he has finally become a stereotypical, surly teenager."

"He's upset with me."  She replied with a hint of guilt in her voice.

"Why?"  He asked and she told him about him going behind his back to contact his father's family.

"I don't blame him for being upset." Sterling said much to her dismay.
"I would be upset with you too if I were him.." Lauren open her mouth to defend herself but before she get the words he said "You are punishing him for contacting his father."

"No, no." Lauren said. "I am punishing him for disobeying me."

"By refusing to allow him to talk to his father." Sterling said. "I'm mean if you want to ground him fot going behind your back that's fine, if you want to take his computer and phone away from that is your call. But you don't deny a kid access to his parent because you are upset with him. Especially one that he had desperately wanted to know for fifteen years." Sterling shook his head. "That is cruel Lauren. I mean you are literally provoking your child to wrath."

"I am not being cruel to him and I am not provoking him to anything Sterling." How can he say such a thing. He should know that I would never be cruel to my son. "I am just making him face the consequences of his actions."

"You want to talk consequences Lauren." Sterling said. "Keep that boy from his father and see what the consequences will be for you.  You need to let him see his dad."

"I can't do that." Lauren shook her nervously.

"Why not?" Sterling asked. "Is he dangerous?" If so then you need to explain that to John.

"No." She shook her head.

"Then why?"

"Because I'm scared.'

"Of what?"

"Of losing him."  Lauren said and tears began to well up in her eyes
"I'm terrified of losing him."

"I see." Should have realized that. "I can appreciate that."

"You can?"

"Of course." Sterling then reached over and grabbed her hand tightly. She gave him a look of gratitude as she rested her other hand on the top of his. "I can understand you being scared that you might lose him to Jason, which I admit is a possibility." He squeezed her gently. "But here is the thing." He said. "But if you don't let him see his dad you are guaranting one hundred percent that you will lose him. And you might never get him back."

"So please for the sake of your relationship with him." Sterling's eyes pleaded with her. "Let him see his dad."