Chapter 14 Goodbyes

It felt as if Lauren was being punched in repeatedly in the gut by an invisible fist as she walked out to the car with John and Jason. John had a suitcase in one hand, a gym bag in the other and his bookbag on his back. Jason carried two boxes one of which had John's gaming system. Sterling then walked out with another box and a garment bag draped over his shoulder. Tina glared at him as he muttered the word traitor. He ignored her and placed John's things in the trunk."

"Thank you, Sterling." John said as he put his suitcase in the trunk.

"You're welcome buddy." Sterling then looked at Jason. "Its okay if I call him buddy."

"Of course." Jason said.

"You have nice time with your dad." Sterling said and fist bumped the boy.

"I will." John said. He then took of his bookbag and placed it in the trunk.

"Is that everything?" Jason asked.

"Yeah." John told him.

"We should hit the road then." Jason looked at Lauren. "Thank you for agreeing to this, I know it wasn't easy."

"No its not." Lauren in the midst of the worst agony that she had ever felt. Which rivaled the pain she felt when she lost both of her parents said "Goodbye honey" She hugged John who just keep his arms at his side. "I'm going to miss you so much."

Tina gave Jason a nasty look as she said "You will never be half the parent to him that she is."

"Shut up Tina." Sterling said as he gave her an impatient look. Jason sent him a silent thank you

"Don't you tell me to shut up." Tina said. "You shut up." Her face twisted in anger. "This is all your fault. If you had been watching John like you were. suppose to this wouldn't be happening."

"Tina stop it." Lauren said with a heavy sigh. "This isn't Sterling's fault." Its my fault she thought its all my fault. "Please go into the house."

"But.,,"

"Now!" She said forcefully and then scowled at her.

"This is wrong." Tina said and then marched back to the house.

Sterling looked at her impressed. Most of the time she was very milquetoast around her. Allowing her to do most of her thinking for her.. It was refreshing to see her actually stand up to her.

"I'm sorry Jason." She then looked back at the stone faced boy. "I'm sorry." She then gently rubbed his face. "I'm sorry for how I have been acting, for trying to keep you away from your father, for all the hurt I caused you."

Her words did not move him. He continued to look at her coldly.

"I love you John."

"I love you too mom." John said which caused her to break out in tears. But I don't like you he thought.

Lauren kissed his cheek and said "Give me a call when you back to Maryland."

"Can I have my phone back?" She had not returned his phone or computer to him.

"No." She said. "You still are being punished for going behind my back."

Anger rippled across his face for a moment and then returned to stone once again.

"We should go." Jason thought if they did not leave now they will never leave.

"Goodbye." Lauren said again and squeezed the boy tightly.

"Goodbye." He then walked to the car and got in.

"I'll make sure he calls you." Jason then got in.

Sterling and Lauren waved as they drove off. Once the car was gone she broke down crying and fell into Sterling's arms.

John looked out the window as they drove down the road. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, dad." John said as he looked at him.

"I know you are upset with your mom but she really does love you." Jason said.

"I know." John said softly.

"And at least she apologized." Jason said. "That's more than Jack ever got from his mother."

"She didn't mean it." John told him. Jason was about to contradict him. "It was an act. A performance for your's and Sterling's sakes."

"John I think you are being a little hard on her."

"I'm not." John said. "I know her. I know her better than you, Sterling, or Tina. I know when she is sincere and that was not sincere." She was trying to manipulate me like she has always done.

Jason then sighed. "I'm sorry champ."

"Its okay." John said. "I'm with you now and that is where I want to be."

John sunk in his seat as he thought I'm finally where I want to be.