Chapter 41

Last Fourth of July...

"Get up." Cynthia ordered Jack who was laying across the bed. The boy slowly got up as he rubbed his burning backside. "I'm so sick of  you Jack." She spat at him. "Yo7u ruin everything with your behavior."

Jack did not say anything. He just stood there staring at his mother with a blank look on waiting for her verbal assault to be finished.

"I don't know why I put up with you Jack." Cynthia said. "I should have my head examined for thinking that you could actually stay out of trouble for once." She shook her head. "Tell me Jack do you like getting in trouble?" She asked. "Do you enjoy being beaten?"

"No ma'am." Jack said.

"I beginning to think you do." Cynthia said. I think you get off on being spanked."

No I don't he thought but did not respond.

"Its bad enough that you are spoiled little brat but you are a disgusting pervert as well." She looked disconcerted as she said "What did I do deserve a son like you."

Jack hung his head.

"You know what I'm tired of looking at you." Cynthia said. "Go face the wall" Jack walked to the corner and stood. "Dont move from that spot until your worthless father comes for you."

She then walked out and slammed the door behind her. A hard sob escaped from his lips as he rested against the wall.

He then heard a door on the hall open and footsteps approached the room. The door opened and his stomach began to flip like a pancake as he could feel the person watching him. He waited for them to say something but they did not just speak they just stood there.

He wanted to turn to see who it was but did not dare to. Despite his mother's claims he did not enjoy being beaten and did want to give her an excuse to give him another one.

The door then closed and he heard feet rushing away from the room down the hall.

He swallowed hard hoping whoever it was would not return.

Now...

Jack opened his eyes with the memory of that day still in his mind. Once again he felt the uneasiness of someone watching him. Their eyes on him, studying him.

"Hey Jack." A voice then said startling him.  He shot up in bed and then looked at source of the voice to see Jesse sitting at the desk. "You okay?"

"I'm fine." He said as he waited for his heart to restart.

"I didn't mean to scare you."

"Its okay." Jack said as he sat on the edge of the bed. "How long have you been here?"

"About an hour."

Jack looked at him surprised. "An hour." He said. "How long have I been asleep."

"According to your dad three hours."

"Three hours." He said. "I must have been more tired than I thought." He then ran his fingers through his hair as he looked at the clock. It was a little after twelve which meant the party would start in an hour.

If there still is a party he thought.

"Who is all here?" Jack asked.

Jesse closed the comic he was reading. "My family, grandma and Zach, and your friend Dylan."

"I guess my dad didn't cancel the party." He said.

"No." Jesse said.

Jack nodded his head. "Why are you in here instead of with Zach and John."

"Uncle Jason asked me to sit with you." Jesse told him.

"You didn't have to."

"Technically I did." Jesse said. "You're dad told me to and my parents expect me to do what he says."

"Okay he didn't have to make you watch me." Jack said. "I'm not a baby."

"I know." Jesse shrugged. "But its what your dad wanted." He then stood. "I'm going to let him know that you are awake."

"Thanks."

Jesse walked out and the floor creaked beneath his feet. He could hear the sound of the person's footfalls again as they crossed the hallway. They were heavy like Jesse's causing the floor to creak as he stepped across it.

Goosebumps then ripped across his flesh.

A few minutes later Jason walked into the room to find Jack out of bed and pulling a shirt over his head. "Glad to see finally up buddy." He carried a plate with two egg sandwiches and a glass of orange juice. "Your brother made you breakfast." He sat them on the desk. "Come over and eat."

Jack walked over to the desk and picked up the orange juice. "I guess you didn't cancel the party."

"No." Jason said. "I felt canceling it would have been a mistake. You need this party Jack. You need to be reminded that are people who love and care about you. You need to know that you can still have a happy time despite the crappy things your mother has done."

Jack took a drink of the orange juice and then sat it on the desk.

"Dont let her take this away from you." Jason said. "Dont let her win."

He then picked up a sandwich and bit into it. Flavor exploded in his mouth causing his eyes to fill with delight.  "Oh man this is really good." Jason smiled as his son's mood greatly improved. It was amazing what one breakfast sandwich could do.

"I know."

He swallowed and then took a drink of his orange juice. "John needs to cook more often." He bit into the sandwich again.

"I agree." Jason said.

"This is better than diner food." Jack said.

"I'm glad you are enjoying it." Jason then said. "So what will it be buddy." Uncertainty filled his face. He was not sure if he could do it. A part of him wanted to get back in bed, throw his covers over his head and hide from the world and the pain his mother has caused him.

Which is what she wanted him to do. She would want him in his room defeated and depressed. Suffering from her abuse.

Dad is right I can't let her win.

"Okay." He said.

"That's my boy." Jason said proudly.
"Pete and Iris just got here so why don't you finish up and come say hi to them."

"Yes, sir." A thought then came to him. One that a week ago he would not have entertained. But one that he could not dismiss. "Do you know what Nicole is doing today?"

"Staying home as far as I know.'

"Would you ask her if she would like to come over."  Jack asked.

"Really." Jason said floored.

"Yeah."

"Are you sure?" Jason asked.

"Yes." Jack replied. "As you said we can't let mom win."

"No we can't." Jason rubbed his head. "You never cease to amaze me Jack." He said and Jack felt himself stand a foot taller at his father's praise.

Jason smiled at his son one more time and then walked out.