Chapter 21 Jason and his boys

"Sundae Depot." John said as they walked up to the subdae shop which was a standalone building in the shopping center.

"Yeah it's a dumb name but they really do make good sundaes." Jack said.

Jason stopped at the doors. "Now don't fill up guys we're going over your grandparents tonight for dinner."  He told them. "And knowing my mom she is probably going to cook a lot."

He then opened the door and stepped aside allowing them in. The two walked in and Jason followed them.

Jack scanned the restaurant for Heather but to his disappointment he did not see her.

I guess she changed her mind Jack mused.

"Looking for someone?" Jason asked.

"No." Jack then blushed.

Jason gave him a look which said you aren't.

"Anyway what were we talking about?" He said wanting to change the subject.

"We are having supper at our grandparents." John said.

"Oh yeah."  Jack said.  "Our grand mom is a fantastic cook." Jack said as they sat down at a booth.  He seemed to hesitant for a moment unsure what to say. "And our granddad is..." He paused as he tried to find the right word to say.

"Can be a little tense at times." John finished for him. "At least that is what Jesse said."

"That is an accurate description." Jason said.   "But he is also very loving and very protective of his grandchildren."

"That is true." Jack said as he imagined his grandfather taking a golf club to his Uncle Spencer.

I wish we got that on camera Jack thought.

"Yeah I am really excited to meet them." Sadness filled his eyes as he said "It's been a long time since I had grandparents. My mom's parents died awhile back."

"Sorry." Jack said as a busboy walked over and placed glasses of water on the table. He could not image losing his grandparents. He was not sure he would be able to survive without their love or encouragement.

A waitress then walked over with a couple of menus. John saw that they did not just serve sundaes but hamburgers as well. His mouth watered as he looked at the pictures of the burgers on the menu.

"Can we come back here for burgers sometime?" John asked hesitantly.

Jason nodded his head as he said "We can most definetly do that."

"The bacon burger is awesome." Jack said with a smile.

I want to try them all John thought as he studied the menu.

The waitress returned a few minutes later and the three made their orders. Anticipation began to fill John as he waited for his sundae.

"It's going to be weird having cousins." John said. "I don't really know my mom's brother or his family so I never got to experience having cousins.

Jason lowered his water as he said "You've never met Brandon."

"Only a couple of times." John said. "The last time was at my grandmother's funeral." He took a sip of his water. "He did not even come to my grandad's funeral."

"That is strange." Jason said. "Do you know why?"

John shrugged. "I know they had a falling out but over what I couldn't tell you."

Very strange Jason thought.

"I know he is married and has kids but I never met them."

"I met his wife." Jason said. "Well fiance at the time." An awkward look crossed his face. "If she is even his wife. As far as I know they he could have broken up and he married someone else."