Chapter 17 Jack and the counselor

After lunch Jack went to the school counselor's office. He was not thrilled about having to go.  He did not want to talk about what happened. Did not want to relive it. But his father wanted him to do it so he regardless how he felt.

There were actually two counselors who worked for the school.  Mr. Sellers for the boys and Mrs. Frenchnick for the girls. He thought he had to see a Mr. Sellers couple of times over the years. The last time was after Christmas where he and his father were forced to stay home and not allowed to celebrate with anyone.

Which he blamed himself for of course.

Though he did not tell Mister Sellers  what happened. Just that he got in trouble over the Christmas break. He did not tell him about being slapped around by his mother, losing what few Christmas gifts he got, or being confined to his room for the entire break.

All because my mother thought I was talking to my grandmother about her. Which I wasn't, I wouldn't have dared. She would have killed me.

The door to one of the offices then opened. But not the one he was expecting. "Hi Jack." Rose Frenchnick saidm

"Hi." He said confused as he looked at the woman who was in her early fifties.

"Come in." She said and Jack got up and walked in. When he walked in the first he noticed were pictures of her own children displayed on the bookshelves behind her. A boy and a girl who were young adults. The daughter was finishing up her sophomore year while the son was working on his masters degree. Both were grafuates of the academy.

They look happy he thought.

"Have a seat, Jack." Frenchnick said as she walked around her desk.

"Where's Mister Sellers?"

"Mister Sellers is off today." She sat down. "Do you feel comfortable talking to me?"

Jack nodded his head. "Yes ma'am." He then said. "I guess my dad told you what happened last night?"

"Yes, he did." Frenchnick said as a mix of sympathy and anger went through her. Sympathy for Jack for having to go through such a frightening experience. And anger at this evil man who would try to hurt him.

"I guess Principal States knows too."

"Yes your dad contacted her as well."  She told him. "Do you want to talk about what happened?"

"I was at home minding my own business when my uncle broke into my apartment to hurt." Jack said grasped the arms of the chair as he spoke. "I scared out of my mind, sure that he was going to kill me." He became visibly upset. "I had to hide in a room and listen as he rampaged through my home destroying my stuff."  Jack then looked away as embarrassment crossed his face. "I felt so helpless." His face turned a light pink. "I felt like a weak, coward."

"You are not weak." Frenchnick said. "And you are not a coward."

"Am I?" Jack said with emotion in his voice. "I hid, I hid in a room like and cowered like a little kid. I did nothing to defend myself or my home. I just let this maniac break in and destroy my home."

A look of contempt crossed his face. Not contempt for his uncle and what he did. But contempt for himself and in his inability to stand up for himself.

"I should have been braver." Jack said. "Like my cousin Jesse was when stood up to him at the house, like Mikey when he tried to stop him last night, ir my grandfather." Jack said. "He did not hide, lock himself in a room, he did not pass out on the floor like a wimp. He picked up a golf club and defended me. He did what I could not do."

Embarrasment danced across. "What I have never been able to do." Frustration filled his face. "I hate being so weak."

"Jack just because you hid does not mean you are weak." She said. "And it doesn't mean that you are a coward."