Chapter 13 Custody

There were many moments that Jason wish he could freeze in time. The births of his first three children, the first time they walked, when they said daddy for first time and this moment. The first time he held his previously unknown son his arms.

I don't want to let go he thought as he kissed the boy on the top of the head. I don't want to let go and I don't want this end.

Jason looked at Lauren who was wiping the tears from her eyes. He shot her an accusatory glance as he thought how could you keep him from me. How could you deny me all those other moments that I will never have with him.

You are not even crying tears of happiness or regret are you he thought. No they are tears of anguish. Instead of being happy for your son, your in mourning for yourself.

What happened to you he thought.

John then pulled away, an embarrassed look was across his face as he said "Hi."

"Hi champ."

"John you weren't supposed to leave the house." Lauren scolded. "Does Sterling know you left."

"No." John said. "I snuck out and rode my bike hear." He then gave her an angry look. "I guess you are going to take that away from me too."

Lauren just looked away.

"I want to live with you." John said.

Lauren's heart sunk in her chest. Her worst nightmare was coming true.

"Come here a minute." Jason said and they walked away. "Are you sure want to do this?"

"Yeah." John answered. "Do you?"

"Of course I do." Jason said. "You are my son." I can't bear the thought of leaving the state without him. He then looked at Lauren understanding the pain she was going through. He knew how it felt to have a child turn on him. To choose the other parent. "I just want you to know that I am pretty strict."

"I know." John said. "Jesse and Zach told me. I don't care. I've been wanting to live with you for a long time." John looked down and shifted his feet. "Don't leave me here."

"Okay." Jason pulled out his wallet and handed him a ten dollar bill. "Go get yourself something while your mother and I talk."

"Yes, dad." Jason could not help but smile at that. He then sat back down with Lauren while John walked to the counter.

"I'm not a bad mother." Lauren said through a veil of tears.

"Never said you were."

"But you've thought it." She said. "I can tell."

"I think you've made some bad choices." Jason said. "And to be honest you are not the only parent sitting at this table who is guilty of that." He then felt pangs of guilt which he pushed away. "But as I said I want him my life." He then looked at her. "But I want a chance to be a father to him."

He then watched as John sat at a nearby booth.

"And this isn't just about what we want to." Jason said. "Its about what he wants, what he needs."

"And he needs to live with you." Lauren said.

"Right now yes." Jason said. "Next week who knows." He shrugged. "But we need to work something out."

"Okay." Lauren said as her heart was shredded into thin strips.

John sat at the booth for ten minutes watching as the two talked. At one point they got on the phone and spoke to someone but he was not sure who. Several times he wanted to get up and ask what was going on but knew he would only be sent back to the booth.