Chapter 36

Eleven o'clock was lights out for the prisoners.  The lights in his cell went off automatically which resulted in cacophony of complaints and expletives from the prisoners who were silenced by a loud shut up by the guards.

Spenser laid down and closed his eyes hoping that the next time he opened them he would discover that this was all just a bad dream. That he would once again be home with Natasha and his sons instead of rotting in this cell facing divorce and cut off from his children.

He was about to drift off to sleep when the lights came on and the door opened.  He sat up in bed to see three guards rush into his cell. Before he could say anything he was pulled off the bed and thrown onto the hard floor.

He quickly realized that his nightmare was just beginning.

Zach was sitting at the kitchen table eating a bowl of ice cream while looking at his phone. He looked up as his grandmother in. "Hey."

"Hey honey." She said as she walked over to the cupboard and grabbed a glass. "Is every okay."

"Yeah." He said.

She gave him a look which said are you sure.

"I spoke with grandpa Hatfield tonight ."

"You did." She said a bit surprised. "Did he call you?"

She turned on the sink and filled the glass. Zach wondered why she did not get a bottle of water from the fridge instead.  "No, I called him."

Cathy nodded her head. "And how are they?"

"They're fine." Zach replied. "He asked if I would like to spend the summer with them."

Zach watched as her body tensed, that was not an idea that sat well with her. "And what did you say?"

"That I would like to." He said. "I haven't seen my dad's family in awhile and I would like to spend some time with my cousins." He then gave her a questioning look. "Is that okay with you?"

"Yes." Cathy said. "Of course."

"Also it might be nice to get away for awhile." He said with a unsettled look. "You know from all the craziness that has been going on."

"It might be." Cathy then asked. "Are you sure there is not anything you want to talk about." She said as she walked over to the table. "Because you know that you can always talk to me."  She then sat down.

"I know." He then looked at the remains of his melting ice cream. "There is something I need to know?"

"Okay."

"Was it hard for my mom." Zach said with emotion in his voice. "To give me up?" His voice then cracked. "Was it a difficult decision for her, did she struggle with it, or did she just dump me on your doorstep like I was yesterday's trash."

Cathy blew air threw her teeth. "I don't know really." She replied. "I would like to think it was a difficult decision for her but like your father she is a very selfish person who puts her wants and needs before anyone else."

"That's what I thought." Zach said. "She probably has not shed one tear over abandoning me."

"Maybe." Cathy said. "Maybe not." She then held his hand. "But you know that your grandfather and I love you right."

"Yes ma'am."

"Is there anything else you want to talk about?" She said wishing that he would open up about what happened back on the fourth of July.

"I was wondering." He said. "Have you ever heard her from her."

"No." Cathy shook her head. "Not since that night that she called us to tell us she was going to Las Vegas with her boyfriend."

"Mick right." He thought how he was one of many boyfriemds that his mother had before she left. He had only met him a couple of times and barely remembered him.

"Yes." Cathy said.

An idea then came to mind. "Do you remember his last name?"

Cathy had to think fot a moment. "Schneider."

Schneider he thought. Mitch Schneider.

"Is there anything else you want to talk about?"

"No ma'am."

A look of disappointment crossed her face. "Okay." She then stood. "I'm going to go bed. Don't stay up too late."

"I won't."

"Good night."

"Good night."

Zach then opened up Facebook and typed his name into the search bar. "Okay Mitch Schneider where are you?"  A list of profiles then came up. He scrolled down until he came to one that look familiar. It was of a man in his thirties with short blonde hair and glasses.  His profile said he was from Glen Burnie Maryland and now lived in Ocean Pines but he had lived a couple of months in Las Vegas.

It said nothing about him being married or in a relationship.

He then hit message and typed My name is Zach Winters, you dated my mom around five years ago, do you know where she is.

Zach then sent it hoping that he would reply and might be able to help him.

Spenser tried cry out for help but his pleas were cut off as his face was shoved into the wall.  He could fear the warm breathe of the guard on the back of his neck as he was told to shut up. His face was pressed into the wall as he was told not to move.

He heard movement behind him but was not sure what they were doing. A few moments later he heard them leave and the cell doors close.

"Go to bed." The guard said.

Spenser turned to see his pillow, his sheets, even his mattress gone. It had been stripped down leaving the metal frame of the cot. The guard looked at him amused and then the lights went plunging him into darkness.

He then slid down the wall and sat on the floor. You're not going to break me father no matter how much torture and humiliation you inflict on me you woke break me

I refuse to broken. I will break all of you before I break.