Chapter 16 Jack and his friends

"Have a good day."  Jason said to Jack as he dropped him off at school shortly before seven.  He did not normally get to school that early but since his father was also taking Zach to school he needed to drop him off so he would have time to get Zach to school in time.

"You too."  Jack said with a somber look across his face. "And good luck."

"Thanks."  Jason said.

Jack then said goodbye to Zach who had moved to the front seat and headed to towards the school.  An eerie feeling came over him as he walked to the school.  He could not shake off the feeling that he was being watched.  And just not by his father and cousin as they sat in the car making sure that he got in safely.  No there was someone else watching him, he could feel their eyes on him.

Uncle Spencer was the first person that came to mind.  He's here he thought. Waiting for another opportunity to kill me.  His palms began to sweat and he found it difficult to breath as he scanned the parking lot for any sign of him.  No he thought Uncle Spencer is in jail, he can't hurt me. 

Unless he escaped Jack thought.  He then felt a lump grow in his throat.

Stop he thought.  You are being paranoid.  Uncle Spencer is not here.  You don't have anything to worry about.  If I don't have anything to worry about then why I am so terrified.   He looked back at his father's car and felt the urge to run back to it.  Tell his father that he was wrong about coming back to school, that he did not feel safe. Beg him to allow to him to go Virginia with him.

Jack tried to move to but found that his legs would not obey him. They were planted firmly into the ground and were not going anywhere.  He could feel an invisible force wrap itself around him, crushing him.  

Help me he tried to call out but even voice betrayed him.  His mouth then went dry and he was sure that he was going to pass out at any moment.  Please don't let me pass out here, not at school.  I could not handle the humiliation.

"Jack."  A voice then said.

He turned to see Heather standing behind him.

"You look like you have seen a ghost."  Heather said with concern in her voice.  "Are you okay?"

Jack could feel the anxiety that had him in its cruel grips slowly dissipate.  "Yeah."  He then swallowed against the lump that felt like was going to break through his neck.

"Come on let's go inside."  Heather said.

"Okay."  He said and once again his legs began to move.  The two walked the front doors as they went his cell phone went off.  He pulled it out to see a text from his father asking him if he was okay.  He replied yes and then slid it back in his pocket. 

"Are you sure you okay?"  Heather asked.

"I'm sure."  He said a bit embarrassed.  "I just...."  He was about to say got a little freaked out but stopped himself.  There was no way he wanted to admit that was about to have a panic attack on the school steps.  Heather would never have anything to do with him again.  "I was just lost in thought."  He then smiled at her clumsily.

Sure you are she thought but did not say.  

"I heard what happened yesterday."  Heath er then said hesitantly.  "I'm glad you are okay Jack."

"Thank you."

"Do you know why your uncle came after you?" She asked as they walked towards the where morning care was.

"Because he hates me." Jack shrugged.  Because he wanted to do to me what he did may have done to Zach.  That thought made his stomach turn.  I would have rather him kill me.  "I don't know."