Chapter 25

Sam and Wendy had bought the two smoothies and then sat down. They talked for a few minutes asking John about himself. He told them about his school, the track team, and his hobbies. They were not shocked to discover that he and Jack shared many of the same hobbies.

John hoped that he was able to go to comic con in a couple of weeks but had a feeling that his mom will not allow him to go. After all she would still feel the need to punish him for going behind her back.

I'm pretty sure my weekends with her will consist of being confined to my room and doing punishment chores.

Not looking forward to that he thought.

After about five minutes Sam then said to Jack "Let's take your statues up to the apartment."

"Okay."  Jack said.

John stood with Jack but when Wendy then said "Why don't you stay here so we can continue our conversation."

"Okay." John said and sat down. He could not help but feel it was a bit odd to stay there without Jack or his father.

The two walked off and Wendy said. "So tell me about your mom."  She could see a flash of annoyance across his face. "Did she have any other children?'

"No." John shook his head. "She had said that she has a couple on ice." He then took a sip of his drink. "I have no idea what that means."

"She froze her ovaries." Wendy said.

"Oh." John said. "Why would she do that."

"She wasn't ready to have children but probably wanted to make sure she still could when she was ready." Wendy said.

"Sounds weird."

"Its not."

"I'm surprised she didn't freeze me."
John said.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because I derailed her plans." John said. "She was going to go to law school to become a lawyer which was her dream. But she had me instead and I destroyed her dreams."

"She said that to you." A bit of outrage was in her voice.

"She has mentioned giving up law school to raise me a few times." John said. "Normally when I am acting like a snot."

"I can't imagine you being a snot."

"My mom has accused me of being one." John said. "Especially when I complained about not being able to meet my dad." I'm shocked she did not call me one last night. "When I beg her to let me meet him she would tell me that I was ungrateful child who was breaking her heart. How she sacrificed everything for me and was repaying her sacrifices by wanting to abandon her."

Frustration filled his face. "I did not want to abandon her, I just wanted to meet my dad."

"Have you told your dad about that?"

"No."

"Perhaps you should."

"Perhaps I should."

"So what does she do?"

"She's a sous chef." John said. "At the Reliant."

"That is very impressive." The Reliant was one of the most expensive restaurants on the East coast. Hollywood celebrities and NBA basketball players were known to frequent it.

"She got a job there as a line cook after my grandmother died."

"And what did she do before that."

"She was a stay at home mom." John said. "That was when she used to complain that most about me destroying her dreams and ruining her life." He smirked as said "Its funny with as much as she complained about me destroying her dreams you would think she would be glad to get rid of me. But she would become terrified of losing me if I mentioned wanting to live with my dad."