S:2; Ch:9

"Call the ninjas for a meeting, brother. I think it's about time we discussed what happened a couple of days back."

"A message will be sent out this evening."

Silence filled Master Hall. It was like this most of the time between the Garmadon brothers, the eldest being the least talkative.

"Do you believe he's responsible for this?"

Garmadon shook his head. Placing his head against the chair, he let out a sad sigh.

"You may be right. After all," Wu said, "We've looked for about three years. It wouldn't make sense for him to appear at this time."

"Mm."

Wu sighed at his brother's reply. He picked up his staff and moved to the office's balcony for fresh air. The cold January air was just what he needed to refresh himself from that stuffy, gloomy atmosphere.

A knock pierced the silence that filled the room.

"Garm? Wu? Anyone in?" A female voice sounded across the room. It was none other than Misako with a tray of tea and snacks.

"Yes," was Garmadon's response. Being the depressed soul he was, he couldn't bring himself to say more than a few words.

"Good!" Contrary to her husband's gloominess, Misako was quite chirpy. The woman had hoped it would rub off on him someday. "I'm here with tea and some snacks."

Wu popped his head in through the opening between the glass doors. "It's always tea and snacks when you want something. It's never worked. I'm not sure why you think it would work this time."

"I can always continue to try, can't I?" Misako stated, placing the tray on the center table.

Wu walked inside and went towards the tray set up. He sniffed the aroma of the tea.

"Is this new?" Wu asked, pointing at the cup emitting a strangely pleasant aroma. He motioned to pick up the cup but earned a slap on the back of his palm.

"You can't have anything on this tray unless you plan to help me."

"Is this a new tactic? Bringing in a new tea and then not letting me drink it?"

"How else will I get you to help me? You guys say you're always busy."

"Well, we are."

"It's been what? Three years? If the person you're looking for could be found, he would be found. Why don't you take a break and help me with this?"

"You could assign it to one of the students," Garmadon said with a sour tone.

Wu and Misako looked at Garmadon, slightly shocked, before turning back to each other. It wasn't every day you heard Garmadon speak more than four words at a time.

"Was it something I said?" Misako whispered to Wu.

"Probably," Wu whispered back.

"Why don't you tell us what the issue is anyway?" Wu said in his normal voice. He placed his staff by the wall and sat down on the couch. Misako sat down on the couch opposite. "We'll drink the tea and decide after."

"Yes," Garmadon said in quiet agreement.

"I will tell you, but no tea unless you agree," Misako said stubbornly.

The room was quiet. The Garmadon brothers stared at each other while pondering over what was said.

"Fine," the siblings said in unison.

Misako opened the purse she had hung over her shoulder. She pulled out a brown envelope. "This was sent to me yesterday evening."

"What is it?"

"Pictures. Unsettling ones at that, Wu." Misako's face tensed up a bit. Garmadon and Wu noticed this and felt a sense of concern.

Misako opened the envelope and pulled out a couple of polaroids. "Here."

Garmadon left his seat and walked over to his brother. He picked up the first picture and looked at it.

"Brother," Wu said in surprise, a look of despair washed over his face.

"Isn't it pictures of Misako and me? As creepy as that is, it's not too big of an issue. At least, given our current position."

Garmadon was referring to his and Wu's place as the Senseis leading the "Secret Ninja Force" They are also owners of the most prominent martial arts academy in Ninjago City. The First Spinjitzu Master's Institute.

"That would be the case, but he's in here."

Garmadon quickly snatched the picture from Wu's hand and stared at it. Sure enough, this picture contained a once-complete family from years before. Tears welled up in Garmadon's eyes, his hand stroking the image of a blonde-haired child with green eyes whose smile made Garmadon tear up all the more.

"You know that boy, don't you?" Misako asked. Garmadon's face couldn't be seen clearly in the dim room. Hence no one noticed his sad expression. "The first time I saw his face in the picture, I felt an overwhelming headache. I didn't consider it at first. However, anytime I tried to think of who he could be the headache returned. Who is he?"

"He is no one," Wu answered, his face expressing dismay. "We'll take it from here."

"Who is he?!" Misako shouted all of a sudden. "The reason I'm here is to find out who he is! Do you think I didn't meet your students to deal with this mess?! It's because even your top students had no way of finding him that I'm here!"

Wu and Garmadon were both equally surprised by Misako's outburst. Was this affecting her? They wondered. Something like that can't be possible. Perhaps... she remembers something.

"It's not something you need to worry about. As I said earlier, we'll take it from here."

"You know who he is, don't you? Tell me! I have a right to know! He's in the picture with me!"

"This is just a photoshopped image," Garmadon finally said, his voice quiet and solemn. "This person in the picture... does not exist."

A/N: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone!!! Thanks a lot for reading this book❤❤. I really appreciate it. Sending you all lots of love and praying we can see each other next year!