Season: 3; Chapter: 5

"This just got more complicated," Zane stated. He started to pace around, his mind sunken in deep thought.

"More complicated?" Jay asked. He was more anxious than earlier, and it showed in his tone. "Were things complicated before?"

"A little," Zane answered hesitantly. He took a deep breath. "Let's discuss this after we deal with the current matter."

Cole and Jay shared glances.

"Alright," Cole sighed in reply. He placed an arm on Jay's shoulder. "Jay, are you comfortable with going back there? I had a similar dream to yours, but I'm not getting any of those vibes here like you are."

"Not really," Jay admitted, playing with his fingers, "But I'll go. I can at least try to find out what this thing is."

"If you feel even a little bothered," Zane cautioned, "You can take a step back."

The three quickly changed into their ninja gear and rushed to the chemistry lab. Already on the scene were the masters of wind, water, fire, and amber.

The four stood staring at the laboratory. The windows were dark as if covered by a black curtain. The door was open, but it was impossible to tell what was in the room because of how dark it seemed.

"I can't reach Sensei Garmadon," Red sighed. "Any luck with Sensei Wu, Wind?"

"None. He still hasn't returned from wherever he went off to." Wind groaned. "Let's just head inside that thing."

"What's the situation?" Black said, arriving with Blue and White.

"That," Orange pointed to the chemistry lab. "Familiar?"

"It's like the apartment from last week," White analyzed. He pulled out a tablet from inside his gi. "I can't get a read on what it is."

"Maybe Black should go in again," Red suggested.

"Um... no..." Black refused, "I don't want to go in again. That place is creepy."

"Didn't you say you saw someone inside there last time? Maybe they'll be there again." Red pointed out.

Black hummed in thought.

"How about we have White go instead? He's our analysis guy." Water suggested. "Being inside might give him a better read on things. Black can follow him since he's been inside something like this."

"We just need one more person for support," Orange added. "Or maybe two since there are students in there."

"I'll go," Wind said, "I'm curious as to what lies in there."

"Me as well," Blue stated, his hand up.

"Guess I'm staying back with the ladies," Red smirked.

Everyone stared at him, their eyebrows arched.

"That was the single dumbest thing I've ever heard you say," Water stated, rolling her eyes. The other ninjas nodded in agreement.

"*sigh* Let's go," Wind said. He suddenly brought out a piece of rope. "Here. Let's use this rope to hold on to each other."

While the mystery of where the rope came from was on everyone's mind, it wasn't the first time Wind brought out random gadgets or tools from nowhere. The four ninjas headed inside, taking the rope and tying it around their waists.

"Here, hold this end," Wind told Orange as he handed her the rope before going in after Black, White, and Blue. "We'll talk to you guys over the comms, and if you can't hear us, tug on the string."

"I never thought I'd see the day I'd be using a rope to communicate, ha!" Water let out a dry laugh.

"To think Sensei Garmadon's lesson on string communication was actually applicable. It's too bad I never paid attention in his class." Red admitted, shrugging.

Orange shook her head at Red as she tied the rope around the waist.

"How are you guys in there?" Water asked.

"It's dark. Aside from that, there's nothing strange," Black stated.

"Is everything still static over there?" Wind asked, slightly concerned.

"Static?" White, Blue, and Black asked.

"Oh, before you guys got here, this thing was moving," Water replied.

"What?!" Blue asked loud enough to burst everyone's ears nearly. "Are you saying I'm inside a living thing?! How could you not mention that earlier?!"

"Blue, calm down," White said. "Where are you anyway?"

"What do you mean calm down? Also, I'm right next to you... Or, at least, I was..."

Inside the darkness, the four ninjas tried to feel for each other. The rope that kept them connected seemed longer than before.

"M-maybe we shouldn't have entered here," Black stuttered, "Anyone?"

"I can hear you through the comms, but I can't tell if you're next to me or far away," Wind answered.

"At this rate, I might end up fearing dark places," Blue complained. "I'm going to turn on my phone light."

It was quiet over the comms. "What?" Blue asked. "Is it wrong to want to see?"

"I don't think it will work," Red stated matter-of-factly.

"Red is correct," White stated, "I've been using a light for some time, and it only shows darkness."

"Really? I'm seeing people unconscious on the ground in front of me. I can also see you guys as well."

"That can't be true," Black reasoned, "I'm in front of you, yet I can't make you out anywhere. I don't even see the light you're shining."

"Well, you are standing inside a dark cloud, so..."

"A dark what?" Orange asked, surprised and confused.

"A dark cloud," Blue repeated, "There's a black-purple mist surrounding you guys. It's also surrounding a few other students."

"Can you pull us out? Wind asked.

"Nope. It's like when I put my hand inside the mist to reach you, there's an infinite amount of space, and I have no clue where you are in that space. The good news is Black and White are in the same mist. Whenever you find each other, try walking backward."

"Or maybe we should pull you guys out," Orange suggested. "Red, Water, and I could try to drag you out with the rope."

"That won't work," Blue replied, "Unless you want to pull them out with the mist."

"Let's do that then," Red stated, "We could take this mist with us for the scientists at the academy to study."

"Scientist, you mean," Blue corrected, "We only have one."

"It was a slip of the tongue."

"Was it really?"

"What do you mean by that, Blue?"

"Okay, enough," Water sighed, "Let's first check if they're okay inside that mist. Wind, Black, White, do you come in?"

"..."

"Wind. Black. White. Do. You. Come. In."

"..."

"Let's get them out of there," Orange said. Water and Red nodded in agreement. Together, the three ninjas pulled on the rope attached to Orange.

"Ugh! Why is this so heavy?!" Red cried out as they struggled to pull on the rope.

"Maybe... the.. mist.. is... very... thick... and... heavy..." Water answered, pulling between pauses.

"Blue, do you read me?" Orange called out using the comms.

"Yup, I'm on my way out."

"On your way out?" Red asked as Blue let out a nervous laugh. "You're still connected to the rope, right?"

"Er... no... but I did find a pair of interesting people."