Season: 3; Chapter: 2

"You went missing for about an hour, Black."

Black's jaw dropped. "An hour?! That's impossible!!"

"So it seems," An old voice spoke from the makeshift entrance in the wall.

"Ah, Sensei Wu!" Black said, startled.

Sensei Wu walked into the room and looked around. His calm, stern expression became slightly provoked as he surveyed the space.

"Since the situation has died down, everyone is to return."

"Yes, Sensei!"

"Except for Blue, Black, and White. You three will return with me to the academy."

"Yes, Sensei," The three answered.

~X~x~X~x~X~

"I checked it out as you said," Garmadon said from his seat at his office desk.

"And?" Wu asked between sips of his tea.

"You were right. It felt... off. Very off. It also felt strangely familiar... and not in a good way."

Garmadon's statement stood out to Wu. It's been two years since what Lloyd did to him, and never (except when it came to him and Misako) has he said something felt familiar. Garmadon's memory has been fogged up since the incident, so it's no surprise he didn't feel familiar with anything.

Wu concluded the situation that afternoon had something to do with his nephew. It would do for a valid explanation for Garmadon's response.

"Wu?" Garmadon called out to his lost-in-thought brother. "What are you thinking about?"

"I was thinking of... Lloyd..."

"Well, this is a first. You rarely say his name." Garmadon scoffed.

It seems much time has passed that you don't even react to his name, brother, Wu wondered.

"You know that it reminds me of the incident. I try not to think about it now and then." Wu stated, feeling guilty for lying.

"I know. I was worried you were developing trauma over a person's name. We've lived for a long time. I don't want it to affect you in the future." Garmadon said. He walked over to where Wu sat and sat beside him. "Look, I'm sure we'll find him."

"...Do you remember what happened that night?" Wu asked.

"I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I passed out, forgetting whatever happened."

Wu sighed. I wonder what was familiar about what brother sensed. Black gave me the details of what happened, but I don't see the connections between a previously evil Lord and a dark essence looking for his master. Actually, wait...

"Brother?"

"Yes, Wu?"

"Do you know of dark matter?"

Garmadon, who was seated comfortably in his seat, sat up straight. Dark matter... where do I know that from?

"Well?"

"I'm trying to remember, " Garmadon said. His palms were clapped in front of his face, his chin resting on his thumbs. "It feels like it's at the tip of my tongue, but I can't recollect anything."

Wu watched his brother lose himself in thought while he gradually lost himself to his thoughts.

Why can't I remember anything? Garmadon complained in his head, his expressions showing proof of that. It's as if my memory has been locked in a box and hidden away.

Both brothers let out a tired sigh, to their surprise, at the same time.

"But, brother," Garmadon said, slightly curious, "Why is this person so important?"

"He's the son of a friend. I've told you this."

"Yeah, but why is he important? Did you promise your friend a favor? Did he get involved in a trafficking or kidnapping case? Come to think of it, you've never explained how he went missing. And why did I never bother asking for the past two years...?"

"I... I don't know much about the situation either. You could say something big happened on that night two years ago that was centered around him."

One would think he was your son because of how uneasy you get when you talk about him. I even get uneasy because of your uneasiness, Garmadon thought. I may not remember much, but I can still recognize whenever something is troubling you, brother. I wish you'd tell me so I could help. Right now, I feel useless.

Garmadon let out another sigh unconsciously. Wu stood from his seat.

"We should revisit the place. Maybe we missed something."

It's the first time my brother has reacted this way since that night Lloyd left. There has to be something.

"Alright, but Koko wants us around for dinner," Garmadon stated, following after his brother.

~X~x~X~x~X~

It was a chill evening in Ninjago City. The Garmadon brothers arrive at the roof of an apartment complex.

"We're here," Garmadon said, walking ahead of his brother. "Something feels different from this morning."

"It's a good thing we came back then," Wu followed after, his staff in hand.

Garmadon and Wu made their way into the building and navigated their way to the source of their investigation.

"Can you feel that?" Wu asked. Garmadon hummed in response.

"Do you know what it is?" Wu continued.

"I think I do, but I don't remember..." Garmadon sighed in frustration. "It's like the word is at the tip of my tongue, but I can't reach it."

"Calm down, brother. It will come to you eventually."

They approached the room, police tape covering the entrance. Pushing the tape aside, they opened the door and walked in.

"I still wonder what type of explosion occurred here," Garmadon said, entering. "There are no signs of burns or chaos. The room is practically clean except for the rubble that fell from the hole in the wall."

Crash!

The two Senseis turned their heads to the source of the noise. The room was quiet once again, but they remained on high alert.

"I think it came from the closet," Garmadon suggested. He walked over to the closet and cautiously opened the door. At the slightest opening, a dark shadow quickly flew out.

"Catch it, Wu!"

Wu quickly blocked the path of the dark shadow with his staff. As it tried to escape in another direction, Wu's staff was already in front of it.

Using his free hand, Wu created a golden light and aimed to throw it at the creature.

"W-wait!" A hoarse small voice spoke from the darkshadow.

"Did it speak?" Garmadon asked, startled. "What are you?"

"Garmadon! Wu! Well, if it isn't my two favorite people!" The voice coming from the shadow had changed to a darker, colder one.

"That voice..."

"The Overlord?!