Prologue

As far as controversies went, you were pretty comfortable facing them. You didn't consider yourself weak-hearted and loved your ability to speak up for yourself.

As far as Shoto Todoroki went, you avoided that confrontation like the plague.

It was ridiculous. You were acting like a child over something that happened over four years ago but it was hard to look into those unevenly colored eyes of his knowing you deliberately snooped into his past over a silly crush, only to hear about the origin of his scar, the abuse his mother went through, and the tyrannical hand of his father over his entire existence.

You should've never eavesdropped. It would've been incredibly easy to postpone your planned confession to Todoroki when you noticed the weight of his conversation with Midoriya yet instead of leaving, you listened in to something that didn't involve you in any way. It was bad enough you did that but it was worse with the words Todoroki directed to you after you thought he wouldn't know.

"I would appreciate it if you didn't listen into my private conversations any longer. It doesn't help me find a good way to deny your confession."

Even the unspoken was clear: not only did he clearly know you eavesdropped, he also knew of your feelings for him and didn't reciprocate them. Though it had been silly of you to think he would. What you had for him had practically been a hallway crush; there wasn't a real connection between you two that would incline towards your success. Thankfully, that made it easier to get over him.

Yet as easy as it was to get over Todoroki, you couldn't help the embarrasment that crawled up on you every time you crossed paths. Whether it was during hero work, encounters at clinics, or simply the luck you had that all your friends were mutual, it was common for you to see him. You somehow succeeded at not talking to him every single time. The aura became too awkward anytime you two were alone.

For you, at least. He looked like he could never be uncomfortable and couldn't care less. It made your apprehension towards him feel even dumber and childish but you long decided you'd rather deal with it than actually adress it. There wasn't technically any need to.

So now you stared at the only empty seat your friends had left: the one next to Todoroki. It was at the very edge of the movie rows which cut off all your chances at interation with anyone else but him. You were so, so tempted to ask Midoriya to switch seats with you since he had the best relationship to the quiet man but everyone was well aware that this whole group hang out was a cover-up for the date Izuku wanted with Uraraka.

You'd have to suck it up this once for the sake of your friend's love life.

It felt like you had an audience as you sat, forcing you to criticize your every move despite not one pair of eyes on you. Not even Todoroki's. You'd arrived to the movie theatre a little later than you should've and the movie was already playing, though you knew that wasn't the reason he didn't look over to you. He was simply indifferent about your arrival.

You sighed after a few minutes of torturing yourself with the tense aura that only you felt. It was getting tiring. Clearly, you were making this into a much bigger deal than it needed to be because with Todoroki, there wasn't a problem. At least there was good that came out of his neutral approach to you.

You wondered why you'd even had a crush on him so long ago when you hadn't even had a friendship with him. Then again, good looks were instinctively hard to resist and made for good distant crushes. You were also in the same class and witnessed his power and intelligence at work. He had every quality that made for an attractive man on the outside; you would probably never know about the inside, but that was fine. Your days of wanting that were long over.