1 - Progress?

Volunteering at clinics was your favorite past-time. You found that something as simple as giving patients the chance to smell something other than the sick-ridden air of hospitals was enough to lift their spirits. Some were even happy to talk to a hero but even though the recognition was nice, it wasn't the reason you did it.

"Flora!!", a familiar voice rasped out as you came into view and you smiled. You'd left your favorite patient visit for last.

"Good evening, Mr. Kiyoshi. I hope you feel well?"

"As well as an 80-year-old buffoon in a psychiactric hospital can feel. Definitely better when I have such a bright girl visiting me all the time."

"You're too kind", you smiled as you focused on letting a soft pleasant fragrance out. The old man immediately relaxed his stance as he took a deep breath. His body language showed relief at the change of smell and you took a seat by the window, letting the aroma fill the room properly before you left so it could last a while. You'd need to remember closing the door on your way out.

"I mean it, young lady. You bright up the whole room whenever you enter!!", he gave you a kind-hearted laugh that was too contageous. He hadn't said anything funny but you found yourself laughing too.

"I'm flattered you think so. I actually don't hear that often so it means a lot, especially coming from you", you shared. Mr. Kiyoshi looked apalled to hear that. He shook his head in dissapointment.

"What this world is coming to. Do no boys come up to you just to tell you that?"

You smiled. It made you happy that the old man believed that was something that would happen to you but you laughed it off,"Not at all but it doesn't bother me. I don't think people are as brave about those kinds of things as they were before."

"'Course not. All this damned technology. People don't see what's in front of them."

"It's okay. I'm more focused on my hero work than men these days", you scratched the back of your head sheepishly. It wasn't a lie, though thinking about the lack of a dating life you had wasn't something that necessarily made you happy.

"Ah, yes. The All-Mighty Flora. Fitting name."

"I never included All-Mighty. I'm still unsure why you call me that", you laughed.

"Because you remind me a lot of All-Might when he was in his prime."

You flushed in embarrassment. That compliment was way overboard,"Oh, no way, nuh-uh. All-Might? You think way too highly of me."

"Not at all!!Look at you, helping others out during your free time!!Also, when the nurses turn on the TV for me, I see you on the news sometimes. I saw footage of you taking down a criminal once. It was amazing to see your vines sprout from cement to catch him. You didn't even lift a finger!!And the big tough guy was covered in flowers by the end of it!!Hah!!", he slapped his knee like it was the best joke he'd ever heard. You sweatdropped.

"To be fair, that villain was weak, so it's definitely not enough for me to be compared to the previous #1 hero. Still, thank you for your praise. I think your room is good to go so I'll be on my way now. Take care of yourself while I'm gone, okay Mr. Kiyoshi?"

"Eh. It's better when I don't because the beautiful nurses get all over me."

"Mr.Kiyoshi...please", you sighed. It wasn't the first time you heard a comment like that from him.

"I'm messing with you, Flora. Go out these and kick some villain butt. And don't forget about me!!", he laughed yet again. You long stopped wondering what parts of what he said would make him laugh so much and instead joined him. You gave him a short wave before closing the room of his door.