29 - Nonsense

Y'all, after 5 months, I think I have enough time to write again. This chapter's mostly filler to shake some of the absolute horrid rust off and kinda remind myself and the readers of some of the things going on plot-wise, so pls, don't flame me too hard, I don't have my writing groove back yet. I'd really recommend skimming the story to get a feel for the character development though. Without remembering our bbg's development, he'll probably feel off, but anyways HI

--------------------

Your stress snacking was endless as you patrolled the street in your new hero costume. It was one of the many things you loved about your quirk: you could eat as much sugar as you wanted without any repercussions. It also gave you an excuse to snack on the job.

Which is why you were incredibly aware of the not-so-sneaky glances Todoroki threw your way the entire time he patrolled alongside you. After the fifth quiet eye meet within the minute, you had enough.

You huffed,"Shoto, worry about the potential villains. I'll worry about my eating habits."

Todoroki's eyes widened. He smiled softly,"I'm not judging your eating habits. I just like your costume. The flower crown fits you."

It didn't shock you that even as you greedily stuffed sweets into your mouth with a frown on your face, he'd find a reason to praise you. Then again, he wasn't the one worried to death. You looked at him with serious desperation.

"How are you so calm?!Twenty-four hours from now, I'll probably be in prison. Your dad's probably gonna throw me into the very same cell Toga died."

Todoroki felt tempted to chuckle but his need to reassure you overcame that. He shook his head,"An interrogation doesn't mean you're a suspect. If that were the case then I wouldn't be getting called in too."

"Yeah, but it's your dad. He's not gonna be as tempted to kick his son into the slammer as much as me. What if, mid-questioning, he remembers that comment I made about him singing his hair off and slapping his bald head?"

The man shot you a look, half-amused and half-berating you for your disproportionate anxiety. He didn't need to reply for you to understand. You sighed, not knowing whether his relaxed attitude was helping you calm down or not.

You'd been the one to practically push Todoroki out the door, promising that fresh air and a sense of duty was all you needed to forget about your upcoming interrogation yet as much as you wanted to enjoy your first ever patrol together, you couldn't. The genuine worry must've finally become visible on your face. 

Todoroki's eyebrows rose in surprise as he noticed the sincerity behind your dark jokes. He stopped dead in his tracks and turned to face you, completely ignoring the fact you were in public and delicately taking ahold of one of your hands on his.

His expression was honest,"(Name), you feel guilty only because you were one of the last few people to see her but you're innocent. I know that and so does my father. There's nothing for you to worry about."

His growth when it came to reassurance--reassurance specifically honed for you-- would've made you weak in the knees if not for the weight that both the recent and still upcoming events had. You nodded and turned away uncertainly, not wanting to voice how unconvinced you were but giving him a small squeeze to his hand in appreciation.

Todoroki kept his mismatched eyes on yours despite the lack of eye contact, clearly not fooled. He continued, "Do you want me to be in the room?"

"Wait, you could do that?", your voice and eyes came back to him within a second. He shook his head.

"I don't know if it's allowed but if you want me to, I'll do it anyway."

"Shoto, you can't disobey the number one hero, even if he's your father."