4 - Duties Of A Friend

"You're eating a lot. Are you planning on using your quirk excessively today?", his question was innocent yet called you out. You narrowed your eyes at him. Answering that question wasn't even worth your time but your pride couldn't take that hit.

"There's nothing wrong with snacking all the time!!Besides, this is a long ass bus ride", you shuffled yourself to the front of your seat as best you could so that the others could hear you,"MINA!!HOW MUCH LONGER TO THE BATHS?"

"FOUR HOURS!"

"Four hours", you repeated to Todoroki like he couldn't hear. He nodded out of respect and you giggled. It was the small gestures that counted with him, such as him sitting beside you without you having to ask, right at the very back of the bus everyone pooled money for. 

Both of you sat closely at the middle of the particularly long seat despite its extra space. You preferred it that way; everyone on the bus was so hectic that proximity did wonders for hearing each other. You were also pretty used to physical touch so something as simple as brushing knees or arms didn't bother you. It was unclear whether Todoroki was too but he wasn't protesting.

"So, Todoroki", you paused your bites with light-hearted curiosity,"so far, out of ten, how do you rate me as a friend?"

It was just a playful question to pass the time. You wouldn't really get offended at his answer.

"Seven."

"A what now?", you dropped your candies on your lap. Not that you expected a ten but a seven?It worried you,"Really?You're not joking?"

Todoroki maintained calm eye contact,"You flirt and touch a lot for a friend. It's unusual."

"Oh, dude", you snorted,"I treat everybody like that. It's how I joke. People like it. Watch", you cupped your hands in front of your mouth,"BAKUGOU!!"

"THE FUCK YOU WANT?"

"YOU LOOK GREAT TODAY!!"

"GET OFF MY DICK, GRASS-FOR-BRAINS."

You smiled at Todoroki,"See?"

Todoroki didn't understand how that could've been Bakugou liking it but you had a bright smile on you as if you hadn't just been told off. Come to think of it, he hadn't ever seen you intimidated by the blond. He assumed it had something to do with your higher ranking.

 You picked up the candies on your lap,"I like joking in ways that flatter people so it kinda gives them a confidence boost, you know?But if it's something you don't like", you said as you scooted away from him to give him space,"then I respect your boundaries."

The man blinked as he brought up the part he didn't understand,"Isn't it uncomfortable for you to say those things when you meant it at one point?"

You blushed,"Can I please live that down?I was hoping we could just forget about the past and whatnot."

"Being ignorant of the past isn't the way to get over it."

You perked up at the unexpectedly wise words. Todoroki was looking straight ahead at the havoc your former classmates were wrecking but you knew he must've felt your eyes on him. You tilted your head, caution in your next words, unsure whether his words had a deeper meaning.

"Are you still talking about me...or...is this about...what I...overheard?"

The last word came out extremely high-pitched, coated in reluctance to speak. Being his friend now, you weren't sure where your new boundaries were, and you didn't want to upset him. Todoroki looked back to you with eyes that soothed you a bit. You should've known he wasn't easily angered.