23 - 'Grave' Misconception

"Have I ever lied to you, doll?"

"I don't fucking know, but forgive me if I don't take your word for it", you muttered as you put your hand on his chest again. The villain clicked his tongue. You tried not to be offset with the irritation he showed towards your lack of trust. He was a murderer and just confessed to burning corpses; it was hard to doubt he'd done the killing too.

You worked as best as you could to nullify the poison you could feel in his lungs. It was working. The levels you sensed were slowly diminishing and you smiled proudly the lower they became. 

Footsteps sounded behind you and you took your hands off Dabi, your face contorting into slight surprise when seeing Todoroki in his hero costume. His stare towards Dabi wasn't any less harsh than before but his stance was calm. At least you could say it didn't look like Todoroki was about to hurt him again.  

You blinked,"Should I change into my hero costume too?"

Dabi piped up before anyone else. He returned Todoroki's stare with an apathethic and knowing smile,"I'm thinkin' you should. That outfit might help my healing proce-"

You noted through his voice and attitude that he already looked somewhat healthier. That is, until Todoroki's foot landed on the villain square in the face and you witnessed Dabi's head get pressed onto the floor. You let out a cry of suprise but it was drowned out by the pained grunt of Dabi. His hand flew onto Todoroki's ankle but before he could do anything, the hero managed to pivot and deliver a second stomp to Dabi's face. You covered your mouth in utter shock.

Todoroki's patience was visibly thin as he crouched,"I don't think you understand your position. You're dying, desperate enough to keep wasting space that you've come to heroes for help. Your life's in (Name)'s hands and if you keep toying then it may very well be in mine too. This isn't the time for you to be disrespecting her."

"U-Uhm, it's fine!!", you tried to distract him. Dabi's face had a couple of notable injuries. The only reason you didn't feel too bad was because you were aware of his murderous track record and seeing Dabi's seething expression, he was more likely planning out Todoroki's murder too rather than worrying about the pain,"Really, I get comments like that all the time."

His expression turned worried,"From who?"

"Uh..."

Maybe it was best you didn't answer that. You redirected your attention to Dabi and hovered your hands over his chest. Something told you it was best you avoided touching him for now. After a few minutes of tense silence, you grinned widely.

"That's gotta be some world record. Dabi, how do you feel?"

"I'm jumping with joy."

Despite the sarcastic comment, he barely seemed to acknowledge you. His eyes were set only on Todoroki's and his voice low as it could be. Dabi was keeping calm and still yet you could see that underneath, he was pissed. There were definitely some vengeful thoughts going on in his head.

You laughed nervously,"Good. I'll expect some kind of payment soon."

Dabi was barely sparing you his attention so you shook your head with a sigh and tried a different approach instead,"So...is Endeavor on his way?"

Todoroki's tense posture relaxed the slightest. That's right--as soon as Endeavor arrived, Dabi wouldn't be a problem for you anymore. The hero nodded,"He'll be here in less than an hour."

You nodded and though the two men were still clearly trying to kill each other with looks, you let your thoughts drift off. The situation was unreal. One minute you'd been cuddling and talking with Todoroki and the next you had Dabi in front of you, soaking your hands with the sweat he'd formed while his body fought off the poison. You wiped your already dry hands just remembering.