33 - Little Birdie

This was the second time you laid eyes on Dabi in broad daylight. However, the middle of nowhere wasn't where you'd expect that to happen. He grinned snarkily.

"Some damn honor you heroes have, right? What a joke. Smart, and if he wasn't such a pain in the ass I'd even be proud of him but I'm fuckin' tearing him apart for pinning it on me."

You were terrified. You'd never been naive enough to feel safe around Dabi but he'd always gone relatively easy on you. Now, he looked pissed, and you had no idea what the hell he was talking about.

You tried reaching for his wrist but he caught it. He hissed,"You're worse. Is that why you saved my life? To paint me as the villain instead of him? You want a villain that bad, (Name)? Because I'll ruin you", the look in his eyes was crazed and without even giving you the chance to respond, he shouted again,"Is that why you saved me?!"

The nonsensical confrontation emphasized your danger and you shut your eyes in a panic, willing the soil around his feet soft enough for his knees to sink. Dabi snapped back to reality once he lost his balance and you tackled your shoulder into his chest. He tumbled onto the ground and though he looked far from happy, the unhinged look had left him. He glared openly at you.

You scoffed,"What the fuck's your problem?! Following me out into a mountain just to act crazy?!"

"You think I care enough to follow you? Cute", he scoffed as he slowly got up again. His height became prominent again but you were too shaken up too care. 

"Right, because you happened to be in the middle of nowhere at the same time as me, my bad", your apologetic movements dripped with sarcasm.

Dabi squinted, stretching the staples under his eyes and analyzing your attitude for a few minutes. It only served to confuse you more before he finally regarded,"...You have absolutely no idea what's going on in the city, do you, doll? I bet my little brother planned that out too."

You scrunched your eyebrows, your silence enough of an answer for him and his face hardened. His face twisted with disdain, a sick grin on his expression,"My old man's called a city-wide manhunt on me. Guess he does love me after all."

His joke held a great amount of contempt. You gasped,"A manhunt?What the hell did you do?!"

"Nothing."

"Right."

"Nothing", he snapped,"I'm being wrongfully convicted. Can you imagine? Out of all the people I've killed, Enji's mad about the nutjob. The one person I didn't. Dumb psycho's probably haunting me for selling her out."

"Good", you sneered, ignoring his claim of innocence,"I hope she makes you shit your pants for tricking me into letting you go. Where's your honor? Toga was mine to question, not yours to kill. I've got nothing on Bakugo now."

Dabi rose an unamused eyebrow. The anger seemed to subside into annoyed boredom,"You've got some poor deductive skills. It's no wonder you couldn't find that brat in time."

You were beyond irritated. Solving a riddle was the last thing you wanted to do after getting a first kiss from Todoroki,"And what's that supposed to mean?"

"I almost pity you. You blindly let my family into your world and with that same blindness, you never saw us set it on fire."

His cryptic words took you for a spin and though you didn't understand him at all, a feeling of dread grew deep in your stomach. You stayed completely still,"...Dabi?"

The villain's face was devoid of anything,"You're right. With the nutjob dead, my part of the deal wasn't held and I went free anyway. I'll do you a different favor instead, doll. I can open your eyes for you."