30 - A Peek Behind the Curtain

Todoroki sighed half-heartedly, not wanting to diminish your high spirits but having no clue how to separate you from the blooming lotuses in the nearby pond. You stared at them in adoration and as much as he loved to see you gush over your love of plants, he knew there were more important matters.

He crouched beside your kneeling form. You had some light scratches and blotches of red throughout your body. Your new costume was doing wonders for protecting the parts that were previously naked, most of the uncovered parts replaced by a translucent green cloth a shade lighter. It let him be a bit rougher during this training session.

You noticed his unwavering stare at your costume and elbowed him cheekily,"Like what you see?"

Todoroki raised an amused eyebrow,"Your entire body's battered. Your hair's also extremely out of place."

"So no?"

There was a brief silence.

"...That's not what I said."

You laughed and took a proper seat on the grass. You knew you'd made the right call when you asked Todoroki for this session to be at night and at a public park. Not only did the sun's absence help you push through your quirk's weakness but you also kept a semblance of privacy by training in the dark.

There was also the news you had to break out to Todoroki tonight. It'd been months since you moved into his house and as much as you would forever owe him for his hospitality, your move-out was long overdue. You hoped the conversation wouldn't go too bad.

You pursed your lips in thought as you debated a way to assure him that it was nothing personal.

Todoroki noted your intentions to stay in place. His tone was stern,"We're not done training."

You groaned,"Shoto, it's been hours. Can't I catch a little break?"

"Half an hour of staring at the view while sitting is a break. Get up."

You huffed childishly at the point he was making, exaggerating your pain with sluggish movements despite him offering his hand to help you. The deadpan eyes Todoroki gave in return were enough to make you break character.

He kept his gaze on you as you practically skipped to your spot. You held a cheery smile. Even then, seeing the results of his harsher fire made him feel uneasy. Good intentions or not, the fact that his only purpose for you at that moment was for him to exploit your weakness didn't sit right with him.

Todoroki stayed silent in thought for a moment. You tilted your head,"Everything okay?"

He shook his head uneasily,"We should practice close-range fighting. No quirks."

Your eyes shot wide,"Huh?Wait, that's like, the complete opposite of what I'm trying to get better at."

"Not at all. You're training to fight Dabi. Close fighting's a specialty of his and I'd rather prepare you for any circumstance."

Your mouth formed an 'o' in understanding before he added in a slightly lower voice, his eyes shifting away from you,"I'm also uncomfortable using my quirk any more than I already have today. Training or not, I don't like being the reason you're hurting."

Whether he said the last part to himself or you, you weren't sure, but it froze you in your spot. His care for you never failed to make your heart skip a beat. You forced yourself to recover and smiled warmly,"Shoto, I don't think you have the heart to seriously hurt anyone. Not with how I see you treat me."

His expression took a strange turn at your compliment. For a statement you thought he wouldn't be surprised to hear, the way his stance suddenly stiffened startled you.