24 - Collateral

"I don't wanna jump to conclusions...but I think you're mad at me."

"..."

You were used to blank expressions towards your jokes but Todoroki wasn't giving you even that, keeping his stare on your arm as he worked on taking the small glass shards out with tweezers. It was a little worrying. The atmosphere was a little too tense for your liking and your attempts to fix it weren't going well.

Endeavor had already taken Toga away and now the two of you were left with all the collateral. Todoroki made it clear that your injuries would be the first thing that you'd take care of, which would've been pretty nice of him if not for how obviously he was upset. You had an idea of why but he had yet to bring it up.

If anything, he'd been radio silent from the moment he sat you down on your bed. You winced at a particularly big glass shard being pulled out your arm. Todoroki tensed at the sound.

"I know. Sorry. Just a few more and we'll be done."

Your eyebrows shot up. You felt his fingers graze softly in a soothing manner around the cut he'd just emptied and smiled in physical and mental relief,"We're talking now?"

His mismatched eyes finally went to yours,"We were never not talking."

That was a lie and you both knew it,"Bull. You didn't once give me a deadpan face this whole time I was making jokes. You're mad at me."

The specifically realistic reaction would've made him crack a small smile if not for his thoughts. Todoroki averted his gaze from you as he found another cut to take care of,"I'm not mad at you."

That one wasn't a lie. His silence wasn't out of anger. The mixed feelings fighting each other in his head simply had him distracted. 

You were a hero and for him to worry so much about you was unnecessary. You hadn't done anything wrong by going after Dabi; it was your job. 

However...Todoroki couldn't describe the pit that grew in his stomach the moment he turned to you and found you gone. The immediate churning in his chest when he realized you weren't safely close to him was a horrible feeling.

It was hard to balance the trust he had in you to defend yourself and the urge he had to be around to make sure he could protect you himself. Todoroki wanted to be rational about it but his care for you ran deep. He'd found himself blinded with it a few times.

You looked at him curiously when he stopped grazing the cut with his fingers. Todoroki's eyes fell on yours again and you prepared yourself; this was it. This was for sure the moment he'd bring up how reckless it was of you to run after a villain you're weak against all by yourself.

Todoroki's expression softened as he resumed his touch,"You did a good job. I wouldn't have trusted any other hero to catch a member of the League of Villains by themselves. Especially when they were impersonating Bakugo."

Surprise shot up in you. Todoroki was looking at you with respect. It filled you with sheepish pride and you grinned widely,"You're giving me too much credit. Toga was never one of the strongest villains anyway", your smile faded,"but you are bringing up something important."

Todoroki stayed silence as he waited for you to continue and you looked at him with uncertainty,"Bakugo."

His fingers stopped again. You didn't check to see the face he was making,"It's been a while since anyone heard from him and all of a sudden, Toga had access to large quantities of his blood?It's just not right...Did he tell you anything before leaving to the baths?"

You finally looked up at Todoroki to hear his thoughts. His gaze was on your small cuts and he nodded.

Todoroki looked you in the eyes,"He gave me advice."