Academy Dinner

♣️Season 1, Episode 17♣️

Nicole chases the Herrmann kids around their backyard. She manages to catch the youngest, Max, and pick him up, "I got you! Are you gonna help me get your brothers and sister?"

"Yeah!" He yells, getting down and chasing after his siblings. 

Cindy sits in the covered patio, running a hand over her stomach, "Thank you, for running around with them. I would but-"

"Cindy, stop it. You know I love your kids. They aren't little terrors with me, which is nice. I'll come over and hang out with them whenever I'm not on shift. And I'll bring Matt with me, he can be a jungle gym for them," Nicole tells the woman, sitting next to her.

"Christopher told me your dad's coming for a visit this week. How are you feeling with that?" Cindy asks, rubbing Nicole's knee.

"I'm not excited. Kelly has a...rocky relationship with Benny. They can still be on good terms, but me...Benny disappointed me one too many times. This week, he's just an old firefighter visiting his old firehouse. He's not my dad," Nicole rants, shaking her head, "And I know he's gonna ask questions about the wedding and offer to pay for some of it like a good father's supposed to but...I don't want him involved. He can come, sit in the audience, eat some food, whatever. But he won't walk me down the aisle. That will either be Kelly, Boden or Christoper. The three men that I can look up to and know have my back."

Cindy gives her a sad smile, pulling her in for a side hug, "I know that any of them would be more than happy to give you away."

Nicole smiles, "And I was hoping that Annabelle would be okay with being my flower girl?"

"Are you kidding? Getting to play dress up with you? I think you just made every dream of hers a reality."

"Good. And Matt and I will talk about how your boys will be involved, as your entire family is so important to us."

"Well, you and Matt are important to us. And not just because you come over to run around with the kids."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Nicole moves to the apparatus floor where there's a gathering around Benny. He was talking with Boden before spying Nicole over his shoulder, "Nicole. Hey."

"Benny," She gives a stiff nod.

Kelly clears his throat, trying to stop the awkward silence, "So, dad, did you hear? Matt finally popped the question to Nic."

Matt had made his way to Nicole's side and wraps an arm around her, kissing the side of her head.

Benny nods, "Yeah, well, most girls do go for guys like their father. A true smoke eater."

"Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, Engine 51..." Is heard before Nicole could snap at Benny about how Matt would never be like him.

Kelly gives Nicole a look as to say, play nice.

♣️♣️♣️♣️ 

Benny stands at the call, watching his kids work. He couldn't help but be proud as he watched Nicole handles every victim with ease, guiding them to any available paramedic as Kelly hangs from a window, holding onto a female victim.

His kids turned out great but he missed the rush.

♣️♣️♣️♣️

As she's hiding from Benny, Nicole is plenty happy to talk with Gabby and Shay about sperm donors in the back of the rig, "The sperm donors with college degrees, I organized under this yellow tab right here. If their majors are lame, I put them under the blue one and I- there's a lot. I just need your guys input here."