Test

♣️Season 2, Episode 21♣️

"Hey, what do you think about going out in two Saturdays on one of those dinner cruises?" Matt asks Nicole as her and Gabby look at the calendar on the fridge.

"This is a disaster," Gabby sighs.

Matt looks at them, worried, "What?"

Gabby stands up from her spot sitting next to Nicole, who's feeding Ember some strawberries, "My firefighter test is on Friday, and Nicole just told me that we and Shay are scheduled for a payback shift the day before for the girl's weekend that we subbed out. I'm not gonna-I'm not gonna make it to the test."

Nicole sighs, "Gabby, I can talk to the Chief and let you leave early that day. We'll make it work."

"What if you can't?" Gabby turns to her.

"I will. Deep breath. You're gonna make it to the test. You are gonna kick the test's a-s-s," Nicole reminds her.

Gabby is confused, "Why'd you just spell ass?"

"Ass!" Ember yells.

Matt sighs, head falling forward, "Ember is in a repeating phase. Found that out when I stubbed my toe last week."

Nicole lifts Ember up so she's facing her, "Ember Hallie, no swearing. That's not a word for you."

"Ass!"

"Okay, daddy? You try?" Nicole holds Ember up to Matt.

He smiles as he moves forward to lift Ember above his head, "Baby girl, come on."

"Ass!" She yells in his face.

Gabby stifles her laugh, "Why do I feel like that's a peak into your future?"

♣️♣️♣️♣️

On shift, in the locker room, the Paramedic Trio are getting ready when Shay speaks up, "Test in five days, huh? Must have blocked it out."

Gabby tells them, "One second I feel 100% ready, and the next I'm panicking."

Shay closes her locker as Nicole laces up her boots, "Well, here's a possible solution, you could just not take it. Sorry, you know I support you. I just-what are we going to do without you? It's one thing to go a few shifts, but you're my partner. My Gabby."

"Look, you don't need me around telling you what to do. You've got Nic for that," She jokes, "And even if I do take the test, it's not like I'm gonna leave your life."

"I know that, but with the new job, the new hubbub around you becoming a firefighter, you know, the excitement, you know?" Shay says, "Meanwhile, I'll just still be here-with Nic, same old, same old."

Nicole stands up, closing her locker, "I don't like being called old, Leslie."

"Stop jinxing me, okay? I haven't passed the test yet."

"Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61-man injured, 4107 Logan Drive."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Arriving on scene, they see a man in a wood chipper. Boden assess.

"Hold it! You sure this thing is shut down?" He asks the boss.

"Turned off the ignition myself," He gestures to the pannel.

Boden shakes his head, "That's not good enough. Herrmann, disconnect the battery. Don't need any more surprises."