First Shift Back

♣️Season 2, Episode 4♣️

Nicole watches Matt kiss Ember's cheeks, causing her to giggle as the newborn lays on Matt and Nicole's bed. Looking over paperwork for her return to work, Nicole pokes Matt's side, "Wanna take everyone to the park? The boys have been cooped up inside the past couple of days and Ember could use some fresh air as well."

"Wanna go to the park?" Matt asks Ember in a baby voice, making funny faces at her, "Let's do it. Get the boys ready?"

"Sure," They share a kiss before Nicole goes to the boy's room, "Get ready, we're going to the park."

"Yes!" They shout.

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Sitting at a park table, Nicole holds Ember so she's sitting up and facing Matt, who calls out to Griffin on the monkey bars, "Be careful, Griffin. No flipping off the bars, okay buddy?"

"I won't," He sasses.

"Look at you being all fatherly," Nicole smirks, "It's really hot."

"Oh, yeah?" Matt flirts, kissing her quickly.

They're interrupted by Nicole's phone ringing, looking at the caller ID, she sees Gabby's name, "One second. Hey, Gabby, what's up?"

"I need some advice. I really stepped in with this total loser, Jay. I'm trying to end it but he just won't let it go."

"Need me to get Matt to have a conversation with him?" Nicole jokes.

Matt looks up at his name, tilting his head in question.

"Nah, I'll handle it....say that's plan B though."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Nicole sits in the morning meeting next to Shay as Boden talks, "Next order of business, I need a couple volunteers to help with the new wellness program for this house. It involves workshops, physical exams. I believe we all have to have some kind of new fitness diary. So, volunteers?" Shay motions between Mills and Nicole before looking at her phone, "I don't have all day. Good. Mills, Shay, you are now the new wellness reps. Last order of business," Boden speaks up over everyone's cheering, "Join me in welcoming Nicole Severide back on shift."

Everyone claps as Shay forces Nicole to stand, "Alright, alright. I just had a baby, relax."

"You've been looking forward to today since you were cleared for duty," Matt reminds her.

"Matthew, shh," Nicole puts a finger to her lips as the bells sound.

"Ambulance 61, person in distress, 398 Wells Street."

"Looks like you're being eased in with Darryl, our favorite frequent flyer," Shay comments, standing up.

The trio of paramedics make it out to the rig like they've done forever.

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Opening the door, Nicole looks back, "Here we go. Darryl, how have we been, buddy?"

He laughs in greeting, pointing slightly at Shay, "I've missed you. You're looking as beautiful as ever."

"Oh, aren't you the charmer," Shay smiles, getting the bag set.

Gabby goes to Darryl, maneuvering him, "Sit up, bud. C'mon. Here we go. Can I see your finger?" Gabby cleans his finger off to check his blood sugar, "Okay, your blood sugar is 43. Why is it so low?"

Nicole sits on the table next to Gabby, "Look, I know you like it when we come and visit you, but you have to check your levels, okay? And eat. After you take your insulin."