Tara Tanked

♣️Season 1, Episode 20♣️

Nicole dances around as she packs snacks for the shift, her energy getting real low lately if she doesn't eat enough. Matt wraps his arms around her waist, swaying with her.

"What are you making?"

"Snacks for shift. According to your baby growing inside me, if I don't have some sort of snack or meal every hour and a half to two hours, I will be forced to throw up all over the place," Nicole smiles, eating some peanut butter toast.

"Well, I apologize on behalf of my baby for making the first part of your pregnancy so vomitie."

She scrunches her eyebrows, "That's not even a real word."

Matt smiles, kissing the tip of her nose, "But it's a real apology."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Nicole has Gabby walk Tara through all the paperwork before meeting them in the common room, just in time to see her eyeing up Kelly. She rolls her eyes, stealing some of the popcorn Cruz was eating as the guys got to know Tara.

"So, what made you want to be an EMT?" Mills asks.

"My roommates a paramedic at 35. Didn't have to hang around with her very long to figure out the firehouse is where it's at."

"It depends on the firehouse," Nicole warns her, "Some think they'll prefer the big house but then smaller houses need good paramedics as well," Nicole warns.

"Engine 51, Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, industrial accident."

Nicole looks to Tara, "Here we go. You ride in the back with Dawson. Stay on her hip at all times."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Walking into the accident site, Nicole finds Mills, "Hey, what happened?"

"Uh, worker backed the forklift into the shelf and the whole thing came down on top of him," Mills tells them.

Nicole leads her team of paramedics to the victim as Squad and Truck work to clear all the debris off as he shakes, "Hey, can you tell me your name?"

"Phil. Phil Manfred," He tells her.

"Hey, Phil, just a warning, I'm about to step over you," Nicole takes a step onto the mattress before stepping over Phil to move by his head, "Okay, I need you to be very still," She turns to Tara, "His nail-beds, see how blue they are? What does that mean?"

"Shock. He's in shock," Tara says.

Nicole nods, "Good, very good. We're gonna keep his c-spine nice and straight and we're gonna warm him up."

Gabby collars him as Matt instructs, "Let's get the spreaders."

But, Kelly argues, "Forget the spreaders. Get the torch in here, we need to cut this beam."

Capp nods, "Copy that," Before leaving to grab the item Kelly asked for.

Mills questions Kelly, seeing a learning opportunity, "B-but why wouldn't we try and lift it."

"It's too unstable. Anything shifts, it will all fall right back on top of him," Kelly explains before looking to the manager of the warehouse, "Hey, is there anything flammable in any of this?"

"No, sir."

Capp brings the torch, which Kelly immediately lights and starts to cut the beam before Matt yells, "Severide! Kill the torch!"