Understand

♣️Season 2, Episode 19♣️
♣️Mentions of Suicide♣️

Nicole sits next to Matt as Boden address 51, "We work a dangerous job. We all knew that when we signed up. A firefighter dies in the line of duty, we are shocked. Our hearts are broken. But in some dark corner of our mind, we are bracing ourself for that possibility," Boden picks up Jones helmet, "But a firefighter takes her own life? That is not a contingency that we can prepare for. We can't change what happened. But we can learn from it. We all missed the signs here. And we can never let it happen again. So you reach out to each other. You be there for each other. Not just for today, or this week- always. I never want to see another member of this family slip through the cracks. Let's go to work."

Everybody slowly starts to leave the room as Nicole wraps her arms around Gabby and rests their heads together.

♣️♣️♣️♣️

"Hey, roomie. Cable bill's due. Make with the cheddar," Cruz tells Otis.

"$140?"

"Yeah, that includes the setup fee."

Otis looks a little closer at the bill, "Yeah, and your NFL package."

Cruz pours Nicole a cup of coffee when she approaches, "Your half is $70."

Nicole pats Otis on the back, "Just pay it. I've found that the NFL package can easily distract someone for hours if you wanna take a nap."

Mouch looks up from his newspaper, "I didn't know Ember could be entertained by football."

"Who said I was talking about Ember?" Nicole sips her coffee as she sits on Matt's lap.

"What?" Matt looks confused as Gabby snorts to hide her laugh.

"I haven't seen Clarke this morning. He still subbing over at 25?" Mouch asks, changing the subject.

Matt wraps an arm around his wife's waist to keep her on his lap as he tells Mouch, "Clarke's not subbing out. He transferred."

Herrmann sets his paper down, "What, just like that? No explanation. No good bye? What a jerk."

Connie points into the room, guiding a man, "That's her."

"Gabriela Dawson?"

Looking up to see an officer, Nicole looks to Gabby, "God what did you do this time?"

Gabby shrugs as she turns to him, "Yeah?"

"This note was left behind for you in Rebecca Jones' apartment."

Everyone is watching silently now as she stands up, "Why?"

"I wouldn't know."

Gabby takes the note, taking it out of the evidence bag before she reads it. Not telling anyone what it says, she leaves the room.

"Engine 51, Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61. Fire. Grand and Ashland."

They make their way out to their respective vehicles.

As Shay drives, Nicole turns in her seat towards Gabby, "You okay?"

"No. No, I'm not. I want some answers. I mean, how does someone like Jones, who's so driven, so determined, how does she just...give up on herself?"

Shay shakes her head, "I don't know."

Nicole sighs, "Sometimes, when you're dad and older brothers work in the same line of work as you, and they are known, you hear all the ways you're different. The differences could be good for where you currently are, but it's not what they are used to so they tarnish it. You're dad once ran into a burning building and pulled out three men by himself. Sure it was reckless and could've killed everybody, but man was it a good save. But the thing you just did, that was okay too."