Chapter 13: No Sunshine

2 weeks had passed, McKennezie and them were passing out Gone Missing flyers to the neighborhood. Jahonna hasn’t been seen since, McKennezie’s birthday party. McKennezie is worrying a lot, she hopes that whatever or wherever Johanna is at that she is okay.

“McKennezie, you want something to eat?” asked Aisha.

“No thank you.” said McKennezie as she sat down feeling hopeless.

“Did you try asking her dad where she was?” asked Taysom.

“Nobody’s at the house.” said McKennezie.

“She’s probably out of town.”said Jiliana.

“She would've said something, Jill.” said Aisha.

“I’m telling you, it’s her daddy. Like come on, remember the bus stop, she had that big a** busted lip. And she told us her daddy ‘accidentally’ hit her. Plus he never wants us around her.” said Keivana.

“Keivana enough with your conspiracy theories.” said Aisha.

“No, maybe she’s right. I mean, by the time Jahonna goes missing her father doesn’t want to talk to us when we try to ask questions. Now he’s disappeared. And everytime she goes home, she’s always coming back with new bruises. I hate to say it, but I think her father killed her-” said Taysom.

“OKAY, STOP IT. JUST STOP IT!! JAHONNA AIN’T DEAD, SHE’S STRONG AND SHE’S ALIVE. SHE HAS TO BE!!” McKennezie fell down and started to cry.

The rest of them held onto McKennezie trying to calm her down.

“It’s okay, McKennezie I know she’s alive.” Aisha said.

“Why did it have to be her?” cried McKennezie.

As they continued to calm McKennezie down, police officers pulled up at the house.

“Hey, kids. Where are your parents?” asked one of the officers.

Taysom went to get McKennezie’s parents. “Yes officer?” asked McKennezie’s mother.

“We have good news and bad news.”

“The good news is that we found Jahonna, the bad news is that we found Jahonna.”

“What do you mean?” asked McKennezie.

“I’m sorry to tell you this, but Jahonna’s dead. We found her in the woods near a red Mercedes…”

All the kids' hearts sunk into their stomachs. McKennezie sat down on the porch, Aisha shook her head in disappointment, Taysom held his head down, Keivana held onto her mouth and stomach as she tried to stop herself from vomiting, and Jiliana closed her ears and eyes trying not to hear and believe what the officers were saying.

“I’m sorry. The body has been picked up by the ambulance. If you want you can head over to the hospital tomorrow to look at the body.” said the officer.