Chapter 30: Ho, Ho, Ho!

Early in the morning on Christmas Eve, Taysom and his sister Taesa were building a gingerbread house. They’re parents were in their room wrapping up the gifts. They were only a day away from tearing up the wrapping paper into shreds, to see what their loved ones got them. But usually their mama would say be calm when taking off the wrapping paper, so that they can save it for next Christmas.

“Ayee, you’re gonna eat up all the icing.” said Taesa as Taysom were taking tiny samples from the icing they were using for the gingerbread house.

“Here.” Taysom dipped his finger in the icing and put it in his sister’s mouth.

“Mmm.”

“But, yeah, let’s stop. Here, use this to fix the wall right there.” Taysom grabbed a piece of graham cracker and gave it to Taesa.

At Aisha’s house:
Aisha was doing the final touches to the Christmas tree. Her mother was finishing the food for tomorrow.

“Mama, I don’t see the star in any of the boxes.” she mentioned.

“You don’t?” Aisha’s mother walked in the living room, re-searching the boxes. “It should be in one of these.”

“Oh, I got it.” Aisha grabbed the star from under the couch. She climbed up the latter and placed the star on top of the tree. “There, doesn't that look nice, mama?”

“Just like you baby.” she kissed Aisha on the forehead.

“Hmm, I wonder what my daughter gave me…” she said, heading to one of the presents sitting on the couch.

“UH, UH, MAMA! You gotta wait for tomorrow.” Aisha quickly went to the present and swiped it before her mama could grab it.

“Hahaha, I remember when you used to try to peek inside the garage to see what me and your daddy got for you.” she said laughing. Aisha sat on the couch as she grew a frown on her face.

“Is daddy still coming home for Christmas?”

“He said he was."

“When he’s retiring?”

“Soon I hope. He says he has one more job, then he says he’ll retire. But you know, being in the military it’s not that easy.”

“I just want him home.”

“He will, I promise. Have you talked to him?”

“I did yesterday. I tried calling him today, but he didn’t pick up, you?”

“I did too, yesterday. But umm, also, are you excited about the film?”

“Oh yes. I can’t believe I’m finally going to be in a movie.”

“What genre is it, again?”

“A comedy.”

“Title?”

“How Bad Can It Get?.”

“Wait, is it based on that novel?”

“Yeah, the book is so good. I was reading it yesterday for prep. The author is producing it, so you already know how it’s finna go down.”

“True. I used to read the ‘original’ book. That was back in 1988, I was 18, I was smart, and I was fine. That’s how I got your daddy.”

“Haha, okay mama.” Aisha laughed.

Later that day, the crew went to the winter wonderland that was being hosted in the Clayton County area. It was like Six Flags in the snow, they thought. Ironically, it pretty much was. Except the rides were better, but the prices were just as much or more expensive as Six Flags. Most likely because it’s just a once of the year thing, so they had to make enough money to continue it for the following year.