Chapter 31: New Years

New Years was a go, only a few days until Winter Break ends. The gang were having a New Years Party. Taysom’s family were throwing it at their house. For a winter day, it sure didn’t feel like it. A little warmer than usual, but what’d you expect, it’s Atlanta. Here in Atlanta you can’t ever be prepared for the weather. One day it’s sunny, the next it’s rainy. One minute it’s hot, the next it’s the north pole.

Taysom was in his room changing his batteries in his camera, so that he could get some pictures. But these pictures weren’t for the yearbook, nope, they were for personal use. He opened his door, slightly startled by his sister standing in front of his door with her shirt in her hand.

“I spilled some water on my shirt.” she said.

“C’mon.” Taysom replied. Taysom grabbed the iron from his closet and pressed the heat against the wet spot on the shirt.

“Here you go.” He handed the shirt to her.

“Thank you.” Taesa ran out of the room with her shirt in her hand.

Taysom grabbed his camera and walked outside. He saw his dad getting the grill ready.

“Hey dad.” Taysom held the camera at his dad recording him.

“Sup man.”

“Taysom, come help me blow up this bouncy house.” said his mother.

Taysom placed his camera on the table outside and walked over to his mother. He plugged up the cord to the extension’s socket and turned on the machine.

“You sure this is gonna be big enough?” Taysom thought.

“You wanna buy a bigger one?”

“No, I was just saying, because Jill shifts into a 5 year old.”

“Oh, haha… Well.”

Taesa walked over to her mother holding a balloon, “Momma look, I blew it!” she said, proudly.

“Aww, that’s good baby. Now blow momma up 99 more.”

“Okay momma.” Taesa skipped happily to the bag of balloons on the table.

“I think she’s actually going to do it.” Taysom smiled.

“You think?” his mother laughed.

Sooner than expected, everyone arrived. Aisha sat on the porch watching one of Taysom’s cousins, Camilla, throw poppers on the ground.

"Aye, can I try one?" asked Aisha.

"Yeah, sure." Camilla said, handing a popper in Aisha’s hand.

But before fully putting it in her hand, Camilla dropped it in front of her and it popped. Camilla, Taysom’s other cousins, and Jiliana-who was sitting on a chair eating an ice cream sandwich-all laughed. Aisha hopped back up on the porch and screamed.

"Damn! Don't do that shit!" Aisha said, panicking and laughing at the same time.

"Hahaha!! Goddamn, you should've seen your face!!" Laughed Jiliana, kicking her legs up high.

"What the f*** wrong with Jill?" asked Quayvon, walking out the front door with a sprite in his hand.

"She's just having fun." said Camilla.

"She looks like she's on drugs to me."

"Be right back." Aisha got up and went inside the house. She walked into the kitchen where Taysom was watching the cookies bake while his mother went to the store with 2 of his aunts.

"Smells good." said Aisha, leaning her back on the counter and putting her hands in her pockets.

"Yeah…" Taysom replied.