Chapter 22: Memory Lane

Jiliana invited everyone over to go through some of the photos they took before everything happened. She thought it’d be a nice way to reconnect and even become closer. Aisha was the last to come over, she and her mother were on a call with a film director. Since the other film she tried to go for didn’t work, she went for another one that caught her interest. The director told her that it’s likely for her to be casted. She was very happy. But she wasn’t going to tell anyone just off yet, she wanted it to be official and also to avoid being jinxed.

Keivana opened the door as she arrived. They walked into Jiliana’s room. They were all sitting on bean bags and snacking on snacks.

“What’s up guys?” Aisha said, tying her hair into a bun. She walked over to the bucket of chocolate bars and grabbed six KitKats

“Cavity mentality.” Quayvon remarked.

“Shut up.” Aisha sat next to Jiliana unwrapping one of the KitKats.

“So you guys ready?” Jiliana clapped her hands before grabbing two big boxes with photo albums inside of them and sitting them in front of her. She opened the first box-she was about to grab the album that was on top, but stopped in her movement.

“What’s wrong?” Taysom asked.

“Nothing, just finna grab some tissue.”

“Why though?” Keivana rolled her eyes, because she always feels like for the simplest things, Jiliana always has to go out and do TOO much.

“Um, we’re about to look at photos-photos with our DEAD friends inside of them. I don’t know about y’all, but those types of things make me cry.” Jiliana grabbed a roll of tissue from out of her closet.

“Well, just don’t go crying on the photos, because these are good pictures.” Aisha grabbed the photo album.

“Definitely, and DON’T go crying on the photos with ME in it.” Keivana warned, everyone was laughing… but she wasn’t.

“Okay, let’s start.” Aisha flipped to the first page, all of their heads poked in front of the album. Aisha quickly and harshly slammed the album.

“AWH H*LL NAH! I WANNA SEE TOO!” Aisha exclaimed.

“My bad, yo.” Quayvon replied.

“Big a** heads.” Aisha reopened the album. Purposely Jiliana stuck her in front.

“JILL!” Keivana yelled and slapped her in the back of the head.

Jiliana laughed. “I’m just playing, godd*mn.”

Looking at the first picture, they saw the one they took when they were at the water park. Keivana wasn’t in this one because she didn’t meet them at this time.

“Yess! I remember. And it was that big fat boy who pushed me, too. That’s how I got that big ole scar right there. And that was Stephanie” Jiliana said, pointing at the scar on her head in the picture.

“Y’all look like y’all were having fun.” Sometimes when they are having these flashback days, Keivana felt a little out of place. She only met them in 6th grade and she didn’t hang around them much because her parents are a little strict. But it was also fun to her seeing them when they were younger-ish. It made her feel more attached to her friends.

“Don’t forget that race we had and I beat all of y’all.” Quayvon bloated.

“Is that the only thing you bring up?” Taysom remarked.

“I mean, why not?”

“BECAUSE YOU CHEATED!” They all exclaimed, except Keivana.

“He cheated?” Keivana asked, wondering what happened during that race.