Chapter 25: In The Name of Friends

Taysom was sitting at his room desk designing a banner for the Winter School Ball. It was a little difficult to do since he was using a laptop to design for the first time. Plus he’d been worried about Aisha. Ever since the incident happened, she ghosted all of them. Jiliana couldn’t even get in contact with her. They knew she was still alive because she’s been showing up in school… just hasn’t been hanging around them. They didn’t want to force her, but they just wished she would say something to them.

After spending a few minutes designing the banner, Taysom decided to take a break. There was a little burger joint down the street from them. He and his little sister Taesa walked over there. Surprisingly when sitting down waiting for their meal, Taesa saw Aisha sitting down by herself eating a cheeseburger.

“Taysom, isn’t that your girlfriend?” Taesa pointed out.

“It’s Aisha and she’s not my girlfriend.” Taysom remarked.

“But you like her.”

“No I- be quiet.” Taysom got up and thought he should at least try to talk to Aisha. He knew that she was strong and that she wouldn’t do anything stupid, but he didn’t want her being alone. Sometimes loneliness can be a little worse than death.

“Stay right here, for when they come to give us our meals.” Taysom told his sister.

“Uh, uh, I can’t stay here. I’m 8, what if I get kidnapped?”

“Ain’t nobody gonna kidnap you, I’ll be right over there.”

“Okay… Just when I go missing, I'll tell mama that it was all your fault.”

“How, when you’re missing?”

With no other back talk coming from his sister, Taysom walked over to Aisha and sat next to her. Aisha looked to the side of her eyes, seeing Taysom. She gave off a quiet sigh, not having to be alone for a while.

“Can y’all stop following me?” Aisha said, taking a miserable bite out of a french fry.

“I’m here with Taesa. We were getting a snack, when she spotted you.” Taysom explained.

“Well you didn’t have to come sit by me.”

“Why are you ghosting us? What happened to Keivana wasn’t you-”

“I know that Taysom!” She said, a little heated. “I’m not ghosting you all. I just want- need to be alone for a while.”

“What about sticking together?”

“Maybe we were talking sh*t from the back of our necks…. I don’t know. It’s just, I don’t want to see anyone else get hurt. These incidents could’ve been avoided if I would’ve spoken up. So when that- when that happened to Keivana I knew I had to keep distance from y’all.”

“Why?”

“Because, all those times I was around y’all, I had those visions. So I thought, maybe the more I stay away from you guys, they might go away. And that none of this f*cking sh*t has to happen.”

“You don’t have to distance yourself from your best friends. Tell us, we’ll help. This isn’t Final Destination, they all haven’t come true. And that thing with Keivana, she jus-”

“She just what Taysom? She was just at the wrong place at the wrong time? Well guess what… THAT’S BULLSH*T!” Aisha grabbed her things and walked out of the restaurant. Taysom knew that he couldn’t stop her. He just stayed in the seat praying that she’ll come back to them. Praying that Keivana wakes up and proves that her visions are wrong.

Jiliana’s House:
Jiliana was on the phone with her cousin from Los Angeles, Velvani, but everyone called her Vel.

“C’mon tell me! I wanna know!” Jiliana begged. Vel was keeping a secret from her for almost 2 weeks.

“Okay fine. I'M VISITING FOR THE WHOLE NEXT SCHOOL YEAR!" She yelped, shaking the phone screen.

“No!?”

“Yep, I’m serious.”

“Oh my god, that’s so cool! I can’t wait to show you my friends.”

“Yes, same. So… who’s that boy on your Instagram pfp?”

“Ohh, that’s nobody.” Jiliana blushed.

“I know it’s somebody, why are you blushing?”

“I’m not blushing!” Jiliana placed the phone on the bed, so that Vel wouldn’t see her face.

“B*tch, you’re white, I can tell when you’re blushing. So c’mon tell me who he is, I told you my secret, now tell me yours.”

“Alright, alright, alright. He’s uhh, my…”

“Mhm… come on.”

“My friend… something like that.”

“Something like that?”

“Yeah…” Jiliana felt butterflies fluttering throughout her stomach.

“OH MY GOD! THAT’S YOUR BOYFRIEND ISN’T IT!?” Vel started laughing hard, rolling all over her bed. “No wonder you were so nervous to tell me. Oh my god, I’m shocked. F*ck that, I’m jealous! Ion have a boyfriend, YET!”

“This is so embarrassing.”

“Please. So, how is he?”

“Why you wanna know?”

“Because, you’re my cousin.”

“Fine. He’s great.”

“He’s great? No details?”

“There’s really no details.”

“Well, where’d y’all meet?”

“6th grade.”

“Okay, okay… Did y’all… y’know?”

“NO! H*LL NO!” Jiliana got up from off her bed and walked to the kitchen. “I’m too young.” She whispered.

“Mm.”

“Wait. Don’t tell me you have?”
Vel began smirking.

“OH MY GOD! YOU’RE NASTY!”

“It’s better to get it done when you’re younger.”

“Nah.”

“It’s true. You should try it.”

“No. Plus he’ll say no.”

“How do you know? Did you ask him?”

“Well no… I’ve never thought about it.”

“Well you should totally go for it.”

“I- no, I’m not like you.” Jiliana laughed.

“You should be. Anyways, I gotta go, cuz.”

“Awe, already?”

“Yeah, I’m about to lose my virginity for the 10th time.” Vel joked.

“Not funny.”

“Haha, but seriously, I gotta go. It’s a school thing.”

“Oh okay, talk to you later, Vanilla.”

“You too, Jelly Bean. Remember what I said; don’t knock it till you try it, if you know what I mean.”

“Yeah, yeah… byeee.”

“Bye.”

Even though Jiliana knew her cousin was just joking (at least that's what she thought), what she said started to get into her head.