Season 5 Ep 1-2

"You ready to go out today?" Clarke asked, packing up some gear.

"210 miles." I sighed, zipping up my bag, "Let's go!"

She gave me a fake smile and we started our way up. We pushed through some rocks that were in the way and finally saw a glimmer of light. I got out first and pulled her out behind me. It was nothing but a dry wasteland. The lake was gone. It was nothing but dust. But, we pushed forward anyway.

While we walked, not many words were exchanged. Our plan was to get to Polis and bang on the doors enough to get in and ride out the next 5 years with them. We hit a landmark and paused while I had a coughing fit. She had dug enough to find the machine gun of the rover. After a few hours of digging, we were driving and on our way Polis.

In order to get to the door, we had to dig. A lot. Neither of us wanted to say it... but we knew it was pointless. It took more of the building collapsing onto where the door was for us to finally give up. It had been 2 months since we were on our own, but this was the first time that it felt real. 

Even when we got to Arkadia, it was as though we were never here. As if we had never made it to the ground. It was all trashed. We scavenged what we could and went through it at night. There was a toolbox in the back of the rover, but all it did was remind us of the past. The ghosts that we would never escape. I let out a breath and pushed it to the side.

Clarke finally let her emotions win and completely broke down. Tears streamed down her face and she was hyperventilating. I quickly took her into my arms and squeezed her tight. To my surprise, she squeezed back. She cried for so long that she finally fell asleep. It was no shock that we were drained, it had been days since we had water last. As though on queue I could hear a faint pattering in the night. When I looked out the window, I could see rain falling. I smiled.

"Clarke," I whispered softly, "Clarke, look."

She woke quickly and matched my smile. We hurried outside and gathered and collected the water we could. It was short-lived as once we got back on the road, not only did the rover lose its solar panels, but we drank the last of our water. We were losing hope. To be honest, it was already lost. We were in the middle of what appeared to be a desert, and Clarke stopped to look at me. All she did was shake her head.

"We've lost everyone." She spoke, "I'm done."

Before I could say anything, a bird was flying around us. Almost as though it was mocking us. We made quick eye contact and followed it. If there was a living animal then it had to have a home somewhere nearby. We were right. Just as we reached the top of the hill, we froze in shock. It was as though the wave completely missed this valley. However, the radiation didn't miss it. Bodies were scattered everywhere.

***

Clarke and I sat outside eating berries while she spoke on the radio. I was going through and organizing other things that we had found whenever we went out until something moved in the distance. I watched it long enough to learn that it was a child. I put a hand on Clarke's arm and motioned in that direction.

"I'll go." She stated, "You stay here just in case."

"Yes ma'am." I nodded.

I watched Clarke chase after the young child and couldn't help but laugh at her. Out of all of the people to be in this situation, WE were the ones interacting with a child on the ground. A few hours passed and she came limping.

"What the hell happened?" I scoffed, scooping her up and taking her inside onto a table.

"A child from hell is what happened."

I let out a laugh and prepped the med kit. I gave a sly smirk and motioned to the needle. She nodded accepting that she was ready and knew it was going to hurt. I continued on and pushed the needle through the openings in her skin. She gripped my shoulder and groaned in pain. After a while, I was finished and she was very in and out.