2x15-16

"Is it true?" Lincoln asked, "Lexa asked you to stand beside her? Do you have any idea what kind of honor that is?"

"I'm sure you're about to tell me." I shook my head.

He clenched his jaw and took a firm hold onto the collar of my shirt, "This isn't a joke, Lucas! If you take her offer, that means you're in. If you take it, your loyalty needs to be with her. Not with Clarke. Not with Octavia... not even with your father. Do you understand what that means?"

"Are you trying to talk me out of it?" I shoved him off, "Whatever decision I make will be my own. I'm not gonna make it for you or anyone else."

"Does Octavia know?"

I laughed, "She's one of the few pushing me to go."

He shook his head, "We can unite them, Lucas. There doesn't have to be grounders and sky people. We can all be one."

"Funny... I remember Finn telling you that same thing. Look how much you helped him." I scoffed, pushing passed him to be stopped by Clarke. "Clarke..I-."

"Don't." She warned, "This all has to work so Finn's death meant something. Do you get that?"

"We'll get them all out, Clarke. Both sides."

She sighed and pulled me into a nearby tent so we were alone, "Lexa told me what she offered you."

"Word travels fast I guess." I sighed.

"You're really thinking about it, aren't you? How could you leave us?"

"There's nothing for me at the Ark, Clarke! Not one thing! My father basically casted me out the moment we chose to be in this damn alliance. The only person who has been showing interest and faith in me has been Lexa." I shouted, "And, for the record, I haven't decided yet."

She placed her hands on my neck, "Don't go, Lucas."

I let out a breath and grew a confused look as she took a step closer to me. I didn't know what she was doing, but I wasn't stopping her. Her face was just a breath away from mine but I could feel our noses grazing. I shook my head and took a small step backwards.

"What're you doing?" I asked. "Whatever this is... it'll have to wait. Lexa needs me at the door."

"Lucas!" Clarke shouted.

"There's nothing left, Clarke. I'm sorry."

***

"We have to flank the shooters!" Lexa shouted.

"I'll go with you." I nodded, only getting pushed back.

"Stay with Clarke. Once the shooters are taken out, get that door open!"

I nodded once again as she ran away with a handful of grounders behind her. I made eye contact with Clarke and Lincoln while we sat and waited like sitting ducks. What was I supposed to do? What was the right decision to make? I shook my head as I sighed. I could tell they both kept making eye contact with me.

After awhile, Lincoln chose to step out from behind the boulder. No shots were being fired. Lexa had succeeded in taking out the shooters. I let a smile grow on my face as we put our hooks onto the door and we all began to pull. Slightly, the door was pulled open. We were getting ready to attack, but Lexa told us to stand down.

One by one, grounders came out of the mountain with warm blankets. I was confused at first. Where were the people from the ark? I turned back to Lexa as she untied Emerson and he walked back into the moment just as the last grounder made their way out.

"What is this?" I asked.

"Your commander has made a deal." Clarke scoffed.

"People from the ark?" Lincoln pushed.

"They're all going to die. But you don't care... do you?" Clarke shook her head.

"I do care, Clarke. But this is a decision I made with my head and not my heart. I had to protect my people, same as you." Lexa replied. "We're leaving."

"They'll get slaughtered. Let us stay and fight!" Lincoln pleaded.

"I am ordering you to come with me." Lexa said firm, before turning to me, "As for you, there is a decision to make. Are you retreating with me, or are you staying with them?"

I clenched my jaw as I looked between Lexa and Clarke. Both were being patient and waiting, secretly hoping I would choose their side. I let out a breath to calm myself down. I nodded to myself as I knew what path I wanted to take. I took a step and took my place beside Lexa.

"Lucas..." Clarke shook her head.

"May we meet again." I sighed, following behind Lexa.

***

"How could you do this? You left them to be slaughtered." Lincoln scoffed.

"We all had to show loyalty to the commander, Lincoln. I guess I was wrong, Octavia chose to stay in the mines. Alone." I sighed, kneeling down beside him. "Do you really think we could have made this long term? I've been watching. Grounders do not care the the sky people."

He shook his head, "You ARE sky people. What makes you think they will look at you any differently?"

"I'll have to prove myself. Earn all of their respect."

"Well I hope it was worth it. You lost mine, and I am sure you will lose Octavia's."

I shook my head and let out a breath as I pushed a knife into the dirt behind him, "Then either shove this in my chest, or go help them."

"This doesn't show your loyalty to Lexa by letting me go." he smirked.

I shrugged, "I'll always remember where I come from, Lincoln. I just wasn't meant to stay there. Maybe another time, but not now. Go save our girl, yeah?"

He nodded, which I returned. I made my way away from him as I watched him slowly and quietly slip away. I let out a sigh of relief knowing that he was going back to help them. Someone had to. It just wasn't me. I couldn't save anyone even if I wanted to. I couldn't even save myself. But, in the end...

Could anybody really save anyone?