Season 5 Ep 3

"This isn't right." Madi whispered.

"Mads, this is our home." I started, "Look at them. What do you think they wanna do?"

Madi glanced at the group of intruders, "They wanna take it."

"Okay, but he doesn't have to suffer. We can kill him."

"Not yet." Clarke interrupted.

Clarke and I nodded at one another in confirmation, knowing that they would do what was needed. We took aim once again at the new people that were in our home. It wasn't hard to figure out that they wouldn't be good people. They just LOOKED bad.

Others continued to come from behind the trees, and I took another look to Clarke. She had her mark and I had mine. I took aim once again, firmly gripped my weapon, and let out a breath. We both squeezed the trigger and watched once the two bodies hit the ground as the rest of them scrambled for cover.

We watched and waited as they talked amongst themselves. Clarke turned to Madi while I kept my eyes locked on the people. There was some minor movement in the distance and by the time I saw what they were doing it was too late. One of their men with a half shaved head spun out from behind a log with a massive weapon and fired.

I turned to pull them down but we still suffered a large blow and everything seemed to move in slow motion for minutes. The ringing in my ears was obnoxious, but I had to check on Clarke and Madi. They also were moving slow, but I pulled them up and into the woods. We had to run, so we did.

We kept running. We started to slow down because we noticed Clarke was holding her side. We paused and I checked our surroundings enough to see if they were right there. We were okay, for now. I pulled Clarke's hand from her side to see it stained with black blood.

"You're hurt." Madi pouted.

"Come on," Clarke pushed, "We have to hide you. Lucas, you should stay with her."

"What? I'm not letting you go by yourself. If anything, you should stay with her since you're hurt." I fought back.

She shook her head, "They saw the blood, so they know whoever they are chasing is hurt. If they find someone with no wounds they will keep looking for others... which means they find her. So, please, stay with her."

I clenched my jaw and went to fight again, but I couldn't. She was right. We had to protect Madi. The distant voices got us moving once again as Madi and myself squeezed into a dugout hideaway. Clarke handed Madi a gun, just in case.

"If you get separated from him, you find a place to hide. No matter what." Clarke pleaded, cupping Madi's face.

"You too." I added, locking eyes with Clarke, "You run for as long as you can."

"I will." She nodded, kissing us on our foreheads. "I love you both."

I let out a gasp, not able to reply before she covered us with twigs and ran away from us. Briefly after she had left and I could feel Madi push herself more against me. I wrapped an arm around her and watched as more men ran passed us. I couldn't help but fight the urge to jump out behind them and shoot them from the back.

***

"What do we do?" Madi whispered.

I clenched my jaw, "We can't wait her. Those traps we set? We should run them through there. They won't know. But you HAVE to stay right with me. Understand?"

She nodded and I gave a nod back. I rotated enough to get a glimpse through between the bushes. As far as I could see it was clear. I gave another look to Madi and she looked up at me with big eyes. We had to move now.

I pushed the cover off of us and instantly turned to pull Madi out behind me. We were only running for five minutes before we heard the voices chasing us. To my surprise, Madi was leading the way and was remembering exactly where to step and where not to step. However, we still weren't fast enough. If they wanted to shoot us, we were within distance for them to do so. They were also about to step on the bear traps. It was a matter of who caves first.

We pushed further into the woods and I took a quick glance back to see that we were no longer being chased. In fact, they weren't even in sight anymore. By now, it had gone dark so we moved slowly within the trees. We had stopped and sat for just a moment and we heard muffled voices once again. Only this time, some of them sounded familiar. 

I took a hold of Madi's hand to insure that she would stay behind me the closer we got to the commotion. 2 of the new people were aimed at a group of 5 other figures. With the lighting it was hard to make out who they were but I tried to get closer without being seen. I was focusing too much on trying to recognize the faces that I didn't notice Madi had taken it upon herself to save the group.

I sprinted behind her just as she launched a spear into one of their neck's. The other turned and took aim at her but before I could I pulled the trigger on him and his body fell to the ground. I instantly turned to Madi to reprimand her but was taken elsewhere by the sound of someone's voice. A voice I knew. A voice I grew up with.

"Lucas..." The voice spoke, shakily.

I turned slowly to lock eyes on all five of the figures that had been faceless until now. The smile on my face grew instantly as happiness and relief filled my body. I walked to him quickly and embraced him in the strongest hug that I could do without breaking down. We parted ways and I smiled even more.

"Bellamy?" Madi stated, taking steps forward. "Clarke knew you'd make it."

Bellamy turned to me, "Clarke's alive?"

I nodded and looked behind him at the others. Raven and Murphy were missing. I clenched my jaw to prevent myself from getting too emotional and turned back to Bellamy.

"Clarke needs our help." Madi continued.

"Wait." Bellamy paused, "Octavia?"

"She's still in the bunker." I replied.

"No... no, no, no. How? Why?" He pleaded.

Madi scoffed and pulled Bellamy behind her, "I'll tell you on the way."

***

As we pulled up in the rover, we could see Clarke in the middle of the village with so many people surrounding her. Madi reached for her gun and I put a hand over her and  shook my head. Bellamy gave me an agreeing nod.

"We take the rover back, Madi." I stated.

"That's the plan." Bellamy said sternly, "I won't let anything happen to Clarke."

"Why aren't you going with?" Madi turned to me and questioned.

I bit the inside of my cheek, "Clarke and I promised we would never leave you alone. One of us would always stay with you. No matter what."

"I've got her." Bellamy promised again, turning to me.

I gave him a quick smile as he got out of the car and made his way to them. I pushed myself into the front seat and we watched for a minute. After a few word exchanges, the invaders lowered their weapons. It was then that Bellamy gave us the signal to leave and Madi began to back away.

I stole one last look at Clarke before she was no longer in our sights.