PDX2

September 1st 2022
Dallas, Texas
10:50 pm

Amina sprayed her travel sized bottle of Maison Margiela's Jazz Club on her body to add to the layer she put on prior to leaving the house, she felt the scent matched perfectly with the vibe of the night. She hopped out of her car and made sure it was locked before making her way to the doors that would lead her inside of "Blue's Corner". After her accidental run in to the establishment, she couldn't get it off her mind, so she decided to ride solo and visit again.

She made it inside in the middle of someone's slam, a girl stood on stage reciting her poem. From what Amina could catch, it was about the adversities of being a black woman. She took an open seat at the bar and ordered a simple cocktail. After the first sip she nodded her head in approval before turning around to watch the poet. Once she was done the crowd sent her snaps as she excited the stage.

The boy from the gas station appeared on the stage, which confused her. This would make it her third time seeing him and she had to admit that each of those times, he was fly as fuck. She figured he smelled as good as he looked, he struck her as the type of man to wear Tom Ford or MFK scents. Amina swirled her drink around with the small black straw before taking a short sip.

She learned that they also had live jazz bands to play some nights, which just so happened to be this specific night. "You write?" A voice next to her questioned, causing her to look over. The girl next to her held a lipgloss tube in one hand a small compact mirror in the other. Amina shook her head no, "Just listen." She replied before taking another sip of her drink.

"I'm next." The girl announced, "Do you think I look good?" She added.

"You do." Amina truthfully replied. She had some kind of shimmery body oil on her ebony skin, which had her shining under the fluorescent lights. Her hair was styled in a curly half up half down, and her outfit was cute as well. It reminded Amina of something Toni from girlfriends would wear.

"Why you sitting in the crowd Cass? You up next." A male voice sounded, snatching Amina's attention. The boy from the gas station approached them causing Cass to smack her lips. "Sitting in the crowd eases my nerves, Rashad." She replied as she stuffed the lipgloss into her small shoulder bag. "Rashad." Amina repeated in her head.

"Glad to see you joining us again tonight." He voiced, eyeing Amina. She took her attention off the stage and put it on him. She shot him a friendly smile before taking a small sip of her drink. "It's ladies night—you getting on the stage?" He questioned.

Amina shook her head no, "I don't write, I guess I only have the ear for it." She explained, Rashad nodded his head. "I'm ready." Cass announced before downing the rest of her drink, she grabbed Rashad by the arm and practically dragged him away.

"As I get older, I can't help but to wonder will I one day float down the aisle with my father. Or will I always be the little dates and a lot of sex girl. Will I be picking out my wedding colors or at Walgreens picking out a plan b. A fun girl is what most call it, which is ironic because at the end of the day there's no fun for me." She recited from memory, causing snaps and applause to go up in the air.

Amina could honestly say she was enjoying herself tonight, and could see herself frequenting more often. Being at the club helped her remember her mother in a positive light, in a sense she felt connected to her mother while sitting in one of the places she got to be herself at. Every lady who got on stage tonight definitely did their shit and the music was on point as well. As the night came to a close they began to play artist like Kem, Erykah Badu, and Jill Scott.

September 1st 2022
Dallas, Texas
3:25 am

Amina dug into her purse attempting to find her key, but blurred vision didn't help with that. She was also a bit tipsy to make matters worse. "Gimmie the fuckin purse." A strong male voice sounded, sending terror through her body. The sound of authority in his voice made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up, she could feel the barrel of a gun pointed directly at the back of her head.