PDX32

January 12th 2023
Dallas, Texas
8:12 am

Rashad let out a big yawn before grabbing his cup of joe that he recently picked up from the Starbucks that wasn't too far from the gate he was waiting at. Rashad was up early this morning to pick up Sahara from the airport. After she told him she'd be out of school for a week due to a lice outbreak, Rashad suggested that she come spend her off week with her uncle.

Rashad grabbed his phone out of the pocket of his Carhartt work in progress jacket, he glanced over the time that read 8:30am and figured that Amina would be up by now, so he decided to text her.

GoodMorning Ma. What can I do to make the day easier for you today?

Soon, Sahara came out of the terminal alongside the female flight attendant. A big smile painted her smooth caramel face once she laid eyes on her uncle. "Rashad!" She exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around his torso. "Wassup Kid." Rashad replied, with an even bigger smile on his face. They walked over to the clerk's desk so they could verify that Rashad was the person assigned to pick her up.

"Here's her carry on, her suitcase should be coming off the belt very soon." The flight attendant announced as she handed Rashad Sahara's Vera Bradley backpack. Her smile was warm, but her eyes were flirty as she gave Rashad her undivided attention. She was dressed in her neat flight attendant outfit, with a pair of black heels. Her hair was sleekly pulled back into a low bun. She wasn't bad facially, but Rashad wasn't focused on that right now. "Thank you." He replied as he threw the backpack over one of his shoulders.

"How was your flight?" Rashad questioned as they walked over to the luggage belt. He noticed her hair was freshly braided, which he appreciated. He didn't know how to style kid hair, so his game plan was to take her to Amina. Sahara's hair was styled in knotless braids with curly ends. "Good—when am I gonna get my new charms?" She replied.

"Damn." Rashad laughed, "Straight to it huh?" He added, Sahara chuckled. "I'm just so ready, my bracelet mad empty." She explained.

"What? It's people who been living in Texas all they life that ain't even got as much charms as you." Rashad chuckled as he wiped her eyes, he figured she slept the whole flight, due to the bit of crust in the corner of her eye. "Which suitcase is yours?" He questioned, turning toward the luggage belt.

"I haven't seen it yet. It's pink and it says juicy couture on it." Sahara explained, "What you know bout juicy couture? That's before your time, kid." Rashad jibbed.

"Mommy loves it." Sahara replied. The mention of Drea made Rashad remember that she needed to know Sa had made it safely, and was in his care. "Text your moms and tell her you with me, I'll keep an eye out for your luggage." Rashad instructed. Sahara nodded her head as she pulled her phone out of her crossbody purse. Her suitcase wasn't hard to spot at all, it was just as she described it. Rashad pulled it off the belt and they began to walk towards the exit.

"She said she wanna talk to you. Sahara announced. It took everything in Rashad not to make up his face, he still wasn't fond of Drea, and probably would never be again. He grabbed the small iPhone and stuck it up to his ear, "Yeah." He poorly greeted.

"Take care of my baby Rashad." Drea spoke. The sound of her very voice irritated the shit out of him, he definitely would've had something smart to say if Sa wasn't looking at him. "Yeah." He dryly replied before handing the phone back to his niece. Once they made it to the car, Rashad instructed for Sahara to sit in the front seat while he put her bags in the trunk.

"You hungry?" Rashad questioned, he slid in the driver's seat and started to fasten his seatbelt. "Yeah." Sahara replied. Rashad quickly planned to stop at the mall, so Sahara could get her charms and then they'd grab breakfast since it was the only thing being offered so early in the morning.