PDX33

January 15th 2022
Dallas, Texas
12:36 pm

Rashad grabbed the soy sauce and poured a little bit into the wooden dish that the restaurant provided. He used his chopsticks to add some ginger and a bit of wasabi. He gave the concoction a good mix before dipping his California roll into the mixture and taking a bite. Rashad looked up at Sahara, who seemed to be enjoying her Japanese cuisine. Rashad was learning that her palate was very diverse, when he was her age, you probably couldn't pay him to eat sushi.

"You ready for middle school?" Rashad questioned, Sahara half shrugged as she reached for her drink. "I don't think it's gonna be a difference—I'm already taking advanced classes." She replied before taking a sip, Rashad nodded his head.

"I can't believe you growing up on me man—my baby ain't a baby no more." Rashad announced. It was bittersweet to see her grow up so fast. But he was thankful that he was able to witness it. "That's why you need to have a baby with Amina." Sahara announced, completely catching him off guard.

He chuckled a bit, "Woah woah, slow down—you like her though? How'd it go when she did your hair?" Rashad questioned, eagerly awaiting the answer. His niece held a lot of weight in his life and her opinion was very valued.

Sahara nodded her head yes, "I like her..she's nice and she did my hair pretty—and she's pretty too." She explained. "And that's why the next time I come back to Dallas, she needs to be your wife." She added.

"Damn Sa, I need a wife and a kid within the next couple of months?" He questioned with a slight chuckle, "Yeah." Sahara replied, not once cracking a smile or laughing, indicating that she was serious.

"Why I need a wife and a kid Sa?" Rashad questioned, he used his chopsticks to bring his last piece of sushi to his mouth before sitting the wooden chopsticks on the plate. "Cause...you're about to be 30 and that's so old, and if you keep living alone you'll be old and sad—and plus, I need cousins." Sa explained, Rashad lightly chuckled.

"I won't be alone and sad if you keep visiting me—when you coming back to see your uncle again?" He questioned, Sahara subtly looked up as she pondered on the question. "Spring break." She answered.

"Bet, I'm holding you to it too." Rashad replied. He was feeling a little full, so he slightly sat back in the booth. He glanced at his niece and saw a complete replica of his brother. Eyes, nose, and mouth. Rahim couldn't deny this baby even if he wanted to. She even chewed just like him, Rashad chuckled at the memories of sitting at the dinner table with his brother and them arguing about Rahim's chewing "annoying him." Funny enough, it didn't annoy him when Sahara did it, which made him realize he was only poking at his older brother on some annoying little sibling shit.

"You spoke to your pops recently?" Rashad questioned as he sat his arms on the table. He knew it was bad manners, he just didn't care. Sahara nodded her head yes. "Well, technically no. Moms said his phone privileges are always taken, so he writes me a lot and draws me pictures." Sahara explained, Rashad weakly smiled at the mention of Rahim drawing her pictures. His brother was very artistic and could draw his ass off. Rahim was so good at drawing, that it lead him to doing tattoos. He had hopes of opening his own shop, but unfortunately got incarcerated. Differing the dream.

"Make sure you keep all them letters, aight?" Rashad instructed, Sahara nodded her head. "You liked the food?" He questioned.

"Yeah, Bond street is better though." Sahara replied, Rashad nodded his head in agreement. He might've been biased, but he felt like food was way better in New York. Some days, he felt like flying out just to eat at his favorite spots and then fly back to Dallas. "You got the bill?" Rashad questioned as he slid the black tab holder over to his niece, Sahara shook her head no as she slid it back.