PDX23

December 20th 2022
Dallas, Texas
7:25 pm

Rashad's attention left the array of framed photos once he heard footsteps, soon the older lady came from around the corner with an antique tray that had the matching tea cups and pot sitting on top of it. Despite the small garden home not being in the best neighborhood, the inside was nicely decorated. A little crowded for Rashad's taste, but he didn't reside there so it wasn't big enough of an issue to warrant him.

"Hey Sugar, I wasn't sure which tea you favored, so I settled on Chamomile." The older lady announced as she poured Rashad a cup full and passed it to him, "Thank you." Rashad tipped his head forward before taking a sip of the tea. He was fond of the south, but his favorite part was definitely the interactions with the elders. Southern hospitality was real and he appreciated it.

"So." She spoke as she took a seat on the sofa that was covered in protective plastic, "How do you know my grand baby?" She questioned with a smile stretched across her face as she raised the ceramic tea cup to her mouth and took a sip. It seemed as if she asked the question on cue, the front door opened and in walked Rico. He looked at Rashad as if he saw a ghost. Of course with Rashad being Rashad, he flashed him a smile.

"Hey baby, your friend came to visit me today too." His grandmother announced, "Gran—" Rico managed to get out before Rashad cut him off.

"Talk to me outside right quick." Rashad spoke, sitting the tea cup on the coffee table. "Thanks for the tea." Rashad flashed her a smile, causing her to do the same.

"Anytime sugar." She replied before fixing her attention to the soap opera that was playing on the large television. Rico followed Rashad outside and closed the door behind them to eliminate the possibility of his grandmother hearing the conversation.

"She's nice." Rashad spoke, stuffing his hands in pocket of his purple brand jeans. "She is—so I hope whatever problem we got going on can stay between us, please don't hurt my granny." Rico pleaded. Rashad could tell he meant this from the bottom of his heart. His eyes held seriousness in them while he seemed to be on the verge of tears.

"She ain't drop the pack—yo dumb ass did, and it's been five days." Rashad replied spoke, he'd never harm women or children. As cut throat as he was—it wasn't in him to be that low down.

Rico sighed as he raised his left hand and began to scratch the back of his neck. "I ain't got it, just kill me if you gon' kill me." He replied. Rashad stroked his goatee as he eyed the helpless young man. The dark circles under both of his eyes lead Rashad to believe that he hadn't slept throughout the whole 5 plus days.

"How much you got?" Rashad questioned, he stuck his hands back in his pocket to combat the cold weather. "I got 15 bands saved up." Rico answered, Rashad nodded his head as he looked around.

"I need that—all of it." Rashad spoke, it no longer hurt his heart to be cutthroat. A few months in the game, he quickly realized that nobody would cushion your fall, it took him one time to get burned to completely turn cold to reduce the chances of getting burnt again. And besides, if Rico told Rashad the actual amount of money he had saved up—he was way dumber than Rashad thought. You were never supposed to tell anybody how much money you had, not even your own mother.

Rico sighed as he ran his hand over his face, "Aight, and how long I got to give you the rest?" He questioned, "You got till New Year's Eve—don't bring in the new year owing me." Rashad replied, Rico nodded his head as he sat his hand on the front door. Just when he was about to open it he stopped in his tracks.

"I'm sorry for fuckin up Shad...I hope I can still work for you when it's all said and done." Rico announced, Rashad didn't reply. He simply grilled Rico, fuck ups were inevitable but this was too much of a fuck up for him, especially for somebody who was grown and knew better. Rico vanished into the house to retrieve the money, which was the reason Rashad made his way over here. He knew Rico kept his stash here instead of his house, hopefully this taught Rico about giving up too much information.