PDX14

November 14th 2022
Dallas, Texas
2:36 pm

Amina adjusted the temperature to her flat iron before sitting it on her station to heat up, she wondered how she ended up having two unscheduled appointments on her week off. She was currently doing Miss Holly's hair. She always got a wash and silk press, although silk presses weren't one of Amina's services, she couldn't tell Miss Holly no. They became acquainted when Amina was in cosmetology school, she came in requesting that same exact service and Amina was the one to give it to her. Ever since then, Miss Holly made it clear that nobody would be doing her silk presses but Amina.

Miss Holly was on the older side, so she never booked appointments through style seat. She just came in and demanded her silk press. Miss Holly was usually a talker, but today she was busy with a crossword puzzle. Amina grabbed her flat iron and quickly dabbed it on her hand to see if it was hot enough, she sectioned Miss Holly's hair into 4 sections and began to work that flat iron through her hair.

Unexpectedly, Rashad walked through the door and took a seat in Amina's small waiting area. Miss Holly closed her crossword puzzle and sat it in her purse. "Young man—you don't greet people when you walk into a room?" She questioned, causing Amina to crack a small smile.

"Yes ma'am, my apologies. How are you?" Rashad spoke, "I'm fine, thank you." Miss Holly replied. Amina felt like maybe it was because Rashad didn't have the southern hospitality. Southerners, especially the older ones were very big on making your presence known when you walked into a room by greeting everyone.

"Now that's more like it...Are you Amina's boyfriend?" Miss Holly questioned, Rashad lightly chuckled as he shook his head no, "No ma'am." He answered. Amina thought it was cute how fast he pulled his manners out, she remained quiet as she continued to press Miss Holly's silver hair out. Rashad and Miss Holly made small talk, which surprised Amina, he was laughing and smiling during the conversation. Amina concluded that maybe he just didn't like her.

As always, Holly's service didn't take long. "It was nice to meet you young man, remember manners take you far—I hope to see you again." She spoke as she neared Rashad, who was nodding his head as he listened.

"Yes ma'am, I hope to see you again as well." He replied as he stood up and made his way to Amina's chair. She grabbed the bag full of loc supplies she got from the beauty supply store on her way there and began to remove the contents so they could be at arms reach.

"You practiced?" Rashad questioned, "No, it doesn't seem too hard though." Amina replied as she parted the first row and sat the rest on the top of his head. "Don't fuck me up." He warned.

"Boy." Amina waved him off, briefly chuckling. It might've been her first time, but she was sure that it was gonna come out nice. "And you not gone offer me a snack or nothing? Damn." Rashad spoke.

"Difficult customers don't get snacks." Amina replied as she grabbed a prong pin. She nodded her head in approval at how her first one came out, she couldn't help but to start feeling herself. What can't I do? She thought to herself. "How I'm difficult?" Rashad questioned.

"You got me in here doing this shit I don't know how to do." Amina replied as she twisted the loc's new growth. "Im helping you out—now you got one more style under your belt." He spoke, Amina agreed but she couldn't see herself adding this as a service. She stopped and grabbed him a bag of chips and a water.

"Thank you." He spoke, "You're welcome." Amina replied before lightly sniffling. She resumed doing his hair, trying not to take too long.

"You sick?" He questioned, making her think back to running through the rain with Malik, which made her realize she probably was coming down with a little cold. "I'm probably coming down with something...I gotta take my liquid herbs." Amina explained.