PDX26

December 26th 2022
Roosevelt Island, New York
2:38 pm

"I don't know bout this Mina." Rashad calmly spoke, Amina turned around and kissed her teeth. "Come on." She pleaded in a sing song tone. The two were scheduled for a ride on the Roosevelt island tram and as time neared, Amina could tell Rashad was having second thoughts.

"It's something about facing my fears that I love—it gives me a thrill rush." Amina enthusiastically spoke as she adjusted his beanie on his head. "I'm not scared...I just don't know nobody that got on there before, niggas from Harlem don't do that." He replied, causing Amina to lightly chuckle. She could tell that underneath the facade, he was scared.

"Niggas from Harlem don't have fun?" Amina questioned, "No." Rashad replied, shaking his head causing Amina to kiss her teeth.

"Well, let's change the pattern with you." Amina spoke as she grabbed his large hand and pulled him away. Since it was the day after Christmas, the streets were pretty empty. Thankfully, because of this the duo was able to have a tram to theirselves. They stepped on and grabbed two seats by the window to ensure they got a perfect view.

"You nervous? You needa hold my hand?" Amina jibbed with a slight chuckle, Rashad kissed his teeth before playfully waving her off. "Fuck outta here." He spoke with his thick accent on full display. The tram started out a bit shaky but quickly resumed smoothly. Amina's eyes were glued to the window, in the midst of watching she grabbed her phone out of her purse and began to record.

"Tourist ass." Rashad spoke, catching Amina's attention. She looked over at him before focusing her attention back on the window. She gave him a small eye roll and smile. "You like New York?" He questioned.

"Yeah—Manhattan always makes me feel like I'm in my own episode of gossip girl." Amina lightly chuckled, "You like Harlem?" Rashad questioned, Amina nodded her head yes.

"I do...it's a lil dirty, but the culture behind it is nice." Amina explained, "Don't forget about my chopped cheese." She added as soon as the thought crossed her mind.

"I got you—we can go after this." Rashad replied. Once Amina felt like she had a good amount of video footage, she stopped recording and stuck her phone in her purse. "You ever think about moving back?" Amina asked as she looked over at him, Rashad immediately shook his head no while scrunching up his face. His answer sorta gave Amina a sense of security and relief.

"Besides my family, it ain't really shit for me here...and I like the man that Dallas is making me. I'm on some different shit now." Rashad explained, Amina nodded her head as she listened. He was dressed in the Pelle Pelle Amina got him, along with a pair of jeans, and a pair of wheat timberlands. That was something Amina loved about him—he always looked good, this played a major part in his persona as well.

"So, since I showed you my city, when you gon' show me yours?" Rashad questioned, Amina pursed her lips together to rub in her Fenty lip gloss. "You've been around Dallas." She finally replied.

Rashad shook his head no, "I'm talking about where you grew up, highland hills." He expounded, causing Amina to instantly scoff.

"It ain't nothing to see over there and there's no reason for me to be over there either." Amina announced, she took her attention away from him and placed it on the window once he did the same. "I can show you around Plano, east Dallas, or Frisco." Amina reasoned.

Rashad let out a small brief chuckle, "You can show me—but that's not you. Whether you like it or not, you're from the hood Mi. It ain't nothing to be ashamed of, you didn't stay in that predicament." He spoke.

"I'm not ashamed, I just choose not to be associated with it." Amina replied, Rashad slightly threw his hands up in surrender. "I got it—I ain't trynna force your hand." Rashad gave in.