S01:E02

•~3rd person P.O.V~•
Miguel started karate almost right away, but he didn't want Maya by herself at home since his Ya-Ya was always out thrifting and their mother was at work. So, for two days Maya watched Miguel do karate. It was extremely boring to just see Miguel clean things and be yelled at, but at least she got to do whatever she wanted.

She could go to the gas station next door, telling Miguel before she did so. She could listen to music, watch Netflix, or read. Miguel couldn't do any of those things, but at least he was learning to defend himself. And Maya.

Today, however, was a Monday. Which meant Miguel and Maya had to go to their new school. Maya had a well-thought-out outfit set out the night before, complete with jewelry. She woke up early to make sure her makeup was perfect, she brewed coffee for her mom and made iced coffee for herself. Yet, Miguel dragged his feet as much as he could.

Maya was shown around by a girl named Moon. She was extremely sweet and pretty, she even introduced Maya to her friends. They immediately liked her, along with loads of other people as well. She was flooded with people who wanted to be her friend, asking for her Snapchat so they could talk outside of school. Unbeknownst to Maya, Miguel wasn't having the same luck.

The most nerve-wracking time that Maya thought about before school had started, was lunch. Where would she and Miguel sit? Maya promised Miguel that she'd sit by him, but both of them were anxious about where'd they would sit. Maya however was offered many spots at people's lunch tables, but she turned them all down. Until she couldn't find Miguel at lunch, so she sat with Moon and her friends, scanning the room for Miguel. She looked at one table and immediately recognized Miguel.

"I'm sorry, I promised my brother that I'd sit with him. Thanks for letting me sit with you all!" Moon smiled as Maya stood up.

"It's no problem, Maya. We'll see you in fifth hour." Maya was glad that Moon and her had compared schedules, Moon was in almost all of her classes. Maya quickly sat down next to Miguel, she didn't know the two boys that he was sitting with. She hoped those were some of the friends he'd made.

"I'm sorry, Miguel, I couldn't find you at first." Miguel shook his head.

"It's alright."

"It's your first day and you already have a girlfriend?" Maya looked over at the boy who was speaking.

"What?! No! This is my twin sister." Miguel motioned to Maya.

"Maya Diaz, you are?" Maya smiled.

"I'm Demetri Alexopoulos, and this is Eli Moskowitz. He's not a really talkative guy." Maya smiled at the boy next to Demetri, who gave her a subtle smile back. Maya thought he was absolutely adorable. He had blonde hair and blue eyes, he also had a scar on his lip.

Eli quickly covered the scar on his lip when Maya looked back at him. Why was she looking at him? She probably thought his lip was weird and ugly. Eli thought she was cute, she seemed interesting too, but she'd just been sitting with Samantha LaRusso and her other popular friends.

"How'd you get to sit with those rich girls?" Miguel asked, motioning to the table she'd just been at.

"They invited me." Miguel stared at Maya.

"They invited you? I can see why you'd make a great addition to their group." Demetri announced, making Maya furrow her eyebrows.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Demetri quickly looked up.

"Well, I just meant, you look like the type of girl who'd they'd be friends with. Ya know, hot but mean?" Miguel quickly looked at Demetri. "I'm sorry, it can't be denied."

"Well, thank you, but the only mean one is Yasmine. Or at least that's what I've heard." Miguel sighed, again Maya had already achieved getting friends and being popular, unlike him.

"I'd kill all of you just for her to spit on my face." Maya grimaced.

"Ew," Maya muttered, glancing at Yasmine.

~

Eli thought about something that Miguel had said, just before he'd realized that Samantha LaRusso had a boyfriend. Strike first. Or something like that. Eli thought since Maya seemed really sweet, why not give it a shot?

But, Maya left lunch before he could ask. He wasn't expecting to see her again, besides in the halls and she was already surrounded by people. Until sixth hour. Eli's math class that he had with Demetri. Luckily, their teacher was pretty laid back so when their third tablemate asked to move to a different table, he allowed them and that left the seat open for Maya.

"You can sit with Eli and Demetri." Mr. Alex said to Maya as she walked into the classroom. She smiled at the two, as she sat down and got out her binder and a pencil.

"I'm glad I have someone I know in this class." Maya giggled, as the two nodded at her.

As the class continued, Maya got Eli and Demetri to talk to her more. The teacher didn't mind, he seemed to just teach them how to do it and hand them a worksheet that wasn't even that many questions. Toward the end of the class, Eli handed her a small slip of paper.

I'm sorry this is so random and awkward, but could I get your number?

-Eli

Maya smiled and wrote in the space underneath.

Of course! (###-###-####)

-Maya <3

Maya handed the note back to him as soon as the bell rang, telling the two goodbye as she quickly walked out of the room to get to Miguel, and as quickly as she could away from Eli.

~

Again, Miguel had karate. This time, he was staying only a bit later. His Sensei, who Maya had learned was named Johnny Lawrence, was making him clean things again. When Miguel texted her, saying he somehow didn't know how to clean a toilet, she went to the back to help him.

"Bathrooms clean!" Miguel shouted as the two came up the hall, just to see another man just in the doorway, talking to Johnny.

"Miggy, you interrupted," Maya muttered, Miguel, taking his earbuds out.

"I'm sorry, Sensei, I..." Miguel stopped when Johnny motioned for him to.

"Sensei?" The man looked between the two of them, Maya quickly throwing her hands up. Johnny wasn't her Sensei, just Miguel's. Maya did enjoy talking to Johnny when Miguel was cleaning and he wasn't busy. "Really? Oh my God, kid. I don't know what he's told you, but you shouldn't believe a word he says, or you're gonna end up exactly like him." Maya stepped forward and raised an eyebrow.

"I don't really know what's going on here, but you can shut your goddamn mouth. You don't know anything about what's going on, and just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can trot in here and act like you own the place." Daniel and Johnny stared at the girl before them, all of them surprised. Except for Miguel. He was used to Maya acting this way, it was just the way she was.

The man turned on his heel, walking out of the dojo. Maya sighed, why had she said that? There was no reason for her to get into a fight she wasn't involved in. Plus, she'd been so rude to the guy. She felt so bad, she just wanted to apologize.
________________________________
Word Count:1,266