S03:E01

•~3rd person P.O.V~•
Maya sat up, her head banging, her throat dry, but she could breathe now. She looked around, she was in a hospital bed, in a hospital gown, and connected to different wires. She didn't see her mom or her Ya-Ya, so she pressed a button for a nurse. A nurse came very quickly, smiling brightly.

"Yes, Ms. Diaz?"

"I...I want my Mom." The nurse looked at her clipboard and her face slowly fell.

"Of course, sweetheart." A couple of minutes later a doctor and her mom came into the room.

"Maya, my baby." Carmen quickly pulled her into a hug, sitting next to her on the bed. The doctor closed the door behind him and cleared his throat. "Maya this is your doctor, and he has some news." Maya looked at the guy, her mom clutching her hand.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but Maya has lung cancer." Maya froze. Lung cancer? She never smoked. How could she get it? Would she die? Probably. Most people with cancer die, right? But do you know what's the worst part about it? She honestly was okay with it. Did she want to die? No, not necessarily but she was okay with the thought of dying.

"Maya did you hear the rest of what he said."

"No.." Maya croaked.

"We've put you on a list for a lung transplant, but there's no guarantee you'll get one, the list is very long. We can give you medicine to suppress the pain and slow the growth of the cancer, but there's still no guarantee about the lung." The doctor left, and Maya looked up at her mom. Her mom's eyes were brimmed with tears, she hated seeing her cry.

"Maya, do you wanna go and tell-"

"No! I don't wanna tell anyone!" Maya's mom stopped.

"Maya..."

"Everyone is dealing with their stuff. Miguel needs to heal, Sam needs to heal, and who knows about Tory and Robby but everyone else needs to get ready for the All Valley. I want to just be normal, just be normal at school. I'll tell everyone eventually, I promise, but please I don't wanna tell anyone, Mama." Carmen slowly nodded.

Maya got her medicine, and she got notes that she'd have to take to the school to tell them she couldn't do gym but after all of that, she went to see Miguel.

"We have to go to the school so just be as fast as you can." Maya nodded, walking into the room. He was connected to bars and a neck brace, his face was all bruised. She felt as if she was going to cry. Her brother was in a coma. The doctors didn't even think he was gonna be able to walk if he woke up. If. They all said if he woke up. She hated the word if.

Maya soon left, going to school and her Mom dropped her off. She walked through the doors and into the office.

"Maya Diaz?" The front desk lady asked, as she just walked through the door.

"Um, I have a couple of things to turn in." The lady nodded, taking the papers from her. "I'll have to take medicine at school from the nurse but please don't tell anyone what it's for." The lady's eyes softened but she nodded.

"Darling, I'm sure everyone would like an update on Miguel, I can call the principal and you can make an announcement at the assembly happening if you'd like." Maya thought for a moment, but then she nodded. It couldn't hurt, could it? Soon Maya was escorted to the gym where the assembly was happening, the principal helped her up the stairs.

"We have Maya Diaz here to give us a small update on our student Miguel. Please give us your full attention." He handed the microphone to her.

"Well, um, hi. I saw Miguel only a couple of minutes ago," the room was silent, "he's connected to all these bars so his spine lays straight and he has a neck brace as well. They say if he wakes up from his coma he might not walk but there's a surgery that may help, but my family may not be able to afford it. I'd just like to thank you all for being so concerned about him, he'd really appreciate it if he knew." Maya wiped the tears from her eyes and handed the microphone back to the principal.