S05:E06

•~3rd person P.O.V~•
Seconds felt like hours, minutes felt like years, and hours felt like decades. The longer there was no news of Maya, the longer the day started to feel. Johnny had finally come out from the bathroom, his face pink and blotchy and slightly wet with tears. He tried to convince the others he hadn't been crying, but everyone knew he was lying.

Miguel held his face in his hands, bouncing his leg up and down as anxiety filled his body. He stared at the ground, every memory he had with Maya seemingly flashing through his mind. From as far back as he could remember, when he was five, to now. Maya had been with him through it all, all of the good and all of the bad.

Miguel watched his Mom's head jerk up every time a doctor walked by, asking the nurse if there were any updates on Maya every few minutes. She's not dead, she can't be dead; He thought to himself, and for a while, he convinced himself that he was right.

"Ms. Diaz." Miguel looked up, as the doctor motioned for his mom to follow him. That could only mean the worst, especially since the doctor wouldn't tell his mom the news in front of the others.

"Oh god, oh god," Hawk muttered as if he could read Miguel's thoughts, starting to sob into his hands. Miguel could hear Johnny comforting him, telling him that it didn't necessarily mean Maya had died.

Miguel remembered when Johnny took him to an indoor pool for a karate lesson. It was when he had only first joined Cobra Kai. He remembered what it sounded like when Johnny tried barking orders at him while he was underwater.

That's what everything around him sounded like now. As if he were underwater, drowning in his thoughts, and people were trying to say something to him, trying to comfort him. As if his sister dying wasn't that big of a deal. He knew that wasn't what they were trying to say by comforting him, but that's what it felt like.

"Miggy, Miggy can you hear me, baby?" Miguel blinked, suddenly seeing his mom's teary eyes in front of him as she held his shoulders, squeezing them ever so slightly.

"Mhm." He hummed, his throat feeling dry.

"Maya's okay, she has a new lung, she's gonna be okay." Miguel felt his shoulders fall as if boulders had fallen from them, he didn't realize he was crying until he felt his mom brush the tears from his cheeks.

"I thought..." Miguel started but what cut off by his own sobbing. For just a minute, he thought he'd lost his sister, his best friend, and that was the worst minute of his entire life.

~

Maya had to do physical therapy, and you better bet that her Ya-Ya was practically shoving food down her throat. She started to gain back the weight she'd lost, and she felt better than ever.

Maya didn't even know that she'd died until she woke up in the bright white hospital room. It felt as if she'd just fallen into a great deep sleep. She remembered thinking of Eli and Miguel, but she just thought she had been dreaming.

On her first night home, someone unexpectedly came through her window. Eli was that someone. He told her that he wanted to take her somewhere, it was almost sundown but Maya still agreed.

She was surprised when she realized they were at the beach. Eli had brought blankets to lay on the sand and bottles of water just in case anyone got thirsty. There was hardly anyone there, so it was nice and peaceful.

The two talked about random things, how excited Maya was for summer, and how excited she was to finally be a senior. Eli's hair seemed to be growing more, he had about a medium-height mohawk now and he dyed it back to purple. He had fixed his grim reaper tattoo to resemble what Maya thought was a dream catcher, he said it was for Miyagi Do, and because it was hard to cover up that type of tattoo.

They talked until the sunset, and all Maya could think was how these things had almost slipped through her fingers. She realized that you don't know you want to live until you're no longer living. Eli talked about how it felt to almost lose her, it made Maya feel terrible for wishing to be dead.

Eli took her home soon after that, luckily Carmen didn't catch them or else she might've forbidden Eli to see her after 9:00. Eli decided to stay the night, Maya thought that her mom wouldn't mind that much.
________________________________
A/n: you guys can thank my little brother for Maya still being alive. I asked him if a should kill her and he said no so😭
Word Count:818