New Earth

Rose slowly followed the strange man, an unsettling feeling in her stomach as she continued throughout the basement

Rose slowly followed the strange man, an unsettling feeling in her stomach as she continued throughout the basement. A reel projector was displaying a film of a party, focusing on a blonde woman, speaking. 

"I mean, you never know what your life is going to be like, ever. I'm bored with this drink. Anyway. Oh, hello darling! Now, don't. Stop it."

Realisation kicked into Rose. "Wait a minute, that's-"

"Peekaboo!"

Rose quickly spun around, coming face to face with Cassandra; the last human. "Don't you come anywhere near me, Cassandra." 

"Why? What do you think I'm going to do? Flap you to death?" She mused, fakely. 

"Yeah, but what about Gollum?" Rose motioned to the strange man standing beside Cassandra, pointing the metal bar she had acquired at him. 

"Oh that's just Chip. He's my pet."

"I worship the mistress." Chip responded, looking at Cassandra in complete admiration. 
"Moisturise me, moisturise me." Cassandra commanded. Chip reached for a hose-like device, spraying Cassandra. Rose watched in disbelief. "He's not even a proper life form. He's a force grown clone. I modelled him on my favourite pattern. But he's so faithful. Chip sees to my physical needs."

Rose scoffed. "I hope that means food. How comes you're still alive?"

"After you murdered me."  

"That was your own fault." Rose spat back. 

"The brain of my mistress survived. And her pretty blue eyes were salvaged from the bin." Chip informed Rose. 

"What about the skin? I saw it. You, you got ripped apart." 

"That piece of skin was taken from the front of my body. This piece is the back." 

Rose couldn't help but laugh. "Right! So you're talking out of your a-"

"Ask not." Cassandra interrupted bluntly. 

"The mistress was lucky to survive. Chip secreted m'lady into the hospital." Chip informed Rose.

"So they don't know you're here?" Rose questioned. 

"Chip steals medicine. Helps m'lady. Soothes her, strokes her." Chip informed, stepping towards the girl. 

Rose stepped back, waving the metal pipe in front of her for defence. "You can stop right there, Chip."

"But I'm so alone, hidden down here." Cassandra sighed. "The last Human in existence."

"Don't start that again." Rose argued. "They've called this planet New Earth."

"A vegetable patch." Cassandra responded bluntly. 

"And there's millions of Humans out there. Millions of them."

"Mutant stock." Cassandra sighed. 

"They evolved, Cassandra. They just evolved, like they should. You stayed still. You got yourself all pickled and preserved, and what good did it do you?"