Idiots Lantern

Raelle and Rose made their way to Magpie's Electricals

Raelle and Rose made their way to Magpie's Electricals. Something was going on with the televisions and they were determined to get to the bottom of it, even without the Doctor's help. That red energy that was emitted in the Connolly's house was alien. She trusted her gut instinct on this. She could feel a slight weight of panic on her chest, no doubt from the Doctor, but pushed it aside as they entered the shop.  Raelle and Rose enter the shop, a small room with multiple televisions scattered about. Magpie looks up from his desk to see the two girls enter. 

"Oh, I'm sorry, Miss. I'm afraid you're too late. I was just about to lock the door." 

"Yeah? Well, I want to buy a telly." Rose told him, making her way over. Raelle stayed back observing the televisions. 

"Come back tomorrow, please."

"You'll be closed, won't you?" Raelle asked. 

"What?"

"For the big day? The coronation." She continued, eyeing Magpie's nervous demeanour. 

He sighed. "Yes, yes, of course. The big day. I'm sure you'll find somewhere to watch it. Please go." He stepped out from behind the desk, shuffling to get the girls to leave by the door. 

"Seems to me half of London's got a television, since you're practically giving them away." Rose questioned. Magpie turned to look at her blankly.

"I have my reasons." He told her. Rose followed him towards the front door, questioning him. Raelle gazed at the televisions to see a woman's face appear on one of the screens. She frowned as the woman smiled back at her, winking. That's odd. 

"Hungry! Hungry!" The woman shouted, causing Raelle to jump back from the television.

"What's that?" Raelle asked Magpie, pointing to the woman. 

"It's just a television. One of these modern programmes. Now, I really do think you should leave. Right now!" He ordered, grabbing Rose trying to get her to leave. 

"Not until you've answered my questions. How come's your televisions are so cheap?" Rose barked at Magpie.

"It's my patriotic duty. Seems only right that as many folk as possible get to watch the coronation. We may be losing the Empire but we can still be proud. Twenty million people they reckon'll be watching. Imagine that. And twenty million people can't be wrong, eh, so why don't you get yourself back home and get up, bright and early, for the big day."

"Nah, I'm not leaving till I've seen everything." Rose told him, breaking free from his grip, trying to stand her ground.

"I need to close."

"Mister Magpie, something's happening out there. Ordinary people are being struck down and changed, and the only new thing in the house is a television. Your television. What's going on?" 

"I knew this would happen. I knew I'd be found out." He sighed, going to lock the door. Raelle and Rose shared a look of worry.

Raelle frowned at the man "All right, then, it's just you and me and Rose. You going to come clean, then? What's really in it for you?"