The Girl in the Fireplace

The Doctor enters Reinette's room, to see it had changed completely from last time he had been there

The Doctor enters Reinette's room, to see it had changed completely from last time he had been there. He walks forward, glancing about for Reinette. "Reinette? Just checking you're okay." He called out for her. He plays a few notes on a harp as he walks past.

"Ahem." A voice from behind interrupts him. He turns around to face an older woman, staring at him eyes wide.

"Oh. Hello. Er, I was just looking for Reinette. This is still her room, isn't it?" He asked the woman. "I've been away, not sure how long."

A voice from outside the room called. "Reinette! We're ready to go."

"Go to the carriage, Mother. I will join you there." Reinette called back. The Doctor smiled at the girl, seeing her all grown up. "It is customary, I think, to have an imaginary friend only during one's childhood. You are to be congratulated on your persistence." She told him, an amused look on her face.

"Reinette! Well. Goodness, how you've grown."

"And you do not appear to have aged a single day. That is tremendously impolite of you."

"Right, yes, sorry. Listen, lovely to catch up, but better be off, eh? Don't want your mother finding you up here with a strange man, do we?" He laughed, walking back over to the fireplace.

"Strange?" Reinette queried, taking a few steps towards him. "How could you be a stranger to me? I've known you since I was seven years old."

"Yeah, I suppose you have. I came the quick route." He chuckled.

"You seem to be flesh and blood, at any rate, but this is absurd. Reason tells me you cannot be real." She admired.

"Oh, you never want to listen to reason"

"Mademoiselle! Your mother grows impatient." A servant called after her.

" A moment!" She shouted back. She looked up at the Doctor, a glint in her eye. "So many questions. So little time." Reinette kisses the Doctor, pushing him up against the wall. The Doctor freezes, shocked by the actions. His heart burns in response.

"Mademoiselle Poisson!" Reinette runs out, leaving the Doctor. He places a hand on his chest, the burning sensation slowly dying away. That's odd he thought. The servant enters the room, shocked to see the Doctor.

"Poisson? Reinette Poisson? No! No, no, no, no, no way. Reinette Poisson? Later Madame Etoiles? Later still mistress of Louis the Fifteenth, uncrowned Queen of France? Actress, artist, musician, dancer, courtesan, fantastic gardener!" The Doctor marvelled, shocked.

"Who the hell are you?!"

"I'm the Doctor, and Madame de Pompadour just snogged me!" He laughed, as the fireplace turns around. "Ha, ha!"

On the other side, he looks around. Nobody was there. Quiet. "Raelle! Rose! Mickey! Every time." He rolls his eyes. "Every time, it's Rule one. Don't wander off. I tell them, I do. Rule one. There could be anything on this ship." He rambles to himself, oddly being followed by a white horse as he made his way around the ship to find them.