The Girl in the Fireplace

The TARDIS materalises on a spaceship, with a long central hub and two rotating sections, one larger than the other

The TARDIS materalises on a spaceship, with a long central hub and two rotating sections, one larger than the other. The group emerge from the TARDIS, taking in their surroundings.

"It's a spaceship." Mickey exclaimed, looking like a kid in a sweet shop, Rose laughing at his reaction. "Brilliant! I got a spaceship on my first go."

"It looks abandoned." Rose observed, looking at the bits and pieces of equipment scattered around. "Anyone on board?"

"Nah, nothing here. Well, nothing dangerous." The Doctor dismissed. He paused. "Well, not that dangerous. You know what, I'll just have a quick scan, in case there's anything dangerous." He told the group, getting his sonic screwdriver out to scan the area.

"So, what's the date? How far we gone?"

"About three thousand years into your future, give or take." He replied, waggling his eyebrows at Raelle. Normally, the girl would laugh or even smile at his reaction, but instead rolled her eyes at the man, walking away to join her sister. The Doctor's smile dropped from his face as he watched Raelle go. She had been off with him ever since they dropped Sarah Jane off and came here. He didn't know why though, the girl refused to talk to him. The others had picked up on it aswell, not knowing why she was blanking the Doctor. Rose knew she would tell her sooner or later.

He shakes his head, clearing his head as he finds the light switch on a console. Pressing it, a part of the ceiling illuminates to show the stars. "Fifty first century. Diagmar Cluster." He observed. "You're a long way from home, Mickey. Two and a half galaxies." He told Mickey, who's eyes widen.

"Mickey Smith, meet the universe. See anything you like?" Raelle asked Mickey, smiling at him.

"It's so realistic!" He replied, a huge grin on his face.

The Doctor looked around another corridor. "Dear me, had some cowboys in here. Got a ton of repair work going on. Now that's odd. " He observed, fiddling at the control panel to show the reports. "Look at that. All the warp engines are going. Full capacity. There's enough power running through this ship to punch a hole in the universe, but we're not moving. So where's all that power going?"

"Where'd all the crew go?" Rose asked, continuing to make their way through the ship.

"Good question." He checked his sonic screwdriver. "No life readings on board."

"Well, we're in deep space. They didn't just nip out for a quick fag." Rose scoffed at the thought.

"No, I've checked all the smoking pods." The Doctor rolled his eyes at the girl. "Can you smell that?" He sniffed the air, scrunching his nose.

"Yeah, someone's cooking." Rose stated.

"Sunday roast, definitely." Raelle added, Rose smiling at her.

The Doctor uses the console to open a door behind them. The far wall is panelled, and contains a blazing fire in an ornate fireplace, with an ormolu clock on the mantlepiece.