The Satan Pit

Ida suspends the Doctor down, who is still descending down the chasm

Ida suspends the Doctor down, who is still descending down the chasm.  "You get representations of the Horned Beast right across the universe, in the myths and legends of a million worlds. Earth, Draconia, Velconsadine, Daemos." The Doctor told Ida, as he stared down the Chasm in absolute darkness. "The Kaled god of war. It's the same image, over and over again. Maybe that idea came from somewhere, bleeding through. The thought at the back of every sentient mind." 

"Emanating from here?"

"Could be."

"But if this is the original, does that make it real? Does that make it the actual devil, though?"

"Well, if that's what you want to believe. Maybe that's what the devil is, in the end. An idea."

The drum stops as they run out of cable, halting the Doctor. He dangles in mid-air in the darkness. 

"That's it. That's all we've got. You getting any sort of readout?" She called to the Doctor. 

He shook his head, checking his monitor, looking down beneath him. "Nothing. Could be miles to go, yet. Or could be thirty feet. No way of telling. I could survive thirty feet." He muttered to himself. 

"Oh no you don't." She scolded him. "I'm pulling you back up." She moved to the drum, reversing it. The Doctor stops it.

"What're you doing?" She cried out.

"You bring me back, then we're just going to sit there and run out of air. I've got to go down."

"But you can't. Doctor, you can't."

"Call it an act of faith." He mutters as he starts to undo his cable. 

"But I don't want to die on my own."

"I know." The Doctor undoes the caribiners holding the cable in place around him.

Back in the drilling room, Raelle races back over to the comms. "Doctor, are you there? Doctor, Ida, can you hear me?"

"The comms. are still down." Zach told her. "I can patch them through the central desk and boost the signal. Just give me a minute." He types on the monitor as Raelle watches. The nagging sensation had grown worse. She needed to know if he was okay. 

The Doctor finally unclips the cable from himself. "I didn't ask. Have you got any sort of faith?" He asks Ida.

"Not really." She replied, sat on the edge of the trapdoor. "I was brought up Neo Classic Congregational, because of my mum. She was- My old mum. But no, I never believed."

"Neo Classics, have they got a devil?"

"No, not as such. Just er, the things that men do."

"Same thing in the end."

"What about you?"

He pauses, looking up, thinking. "I believe, I believe I haven't seen everything, I don't know. It's funny, isn't it? The things you make up. The rules. If that thing had said it came from beyond the universe, I'd believe it, but before the universe? Impossible. Doesn't fit my rule." He looked on, staring blankly around. A nagging sensation in his chest draws him out of his daze, a frown appearing on his face at the thought of Raelle. "Still, that's why I keep travelling. To be proved wrong. Thank you, Ida."