Volume 1 Chapter 16: Forever Fall

3rd Person POV: 

Pyrrha Nikos looks out the window sadly as Lie Ren loads StormFlower and Nora Valkyrie is jumping on her bed in the room for Team JNPR.

Nora: How come Jaune gets home so late?

Ren: He's become rather scarce since he started fraternizing with Cardin.

Nora: That's weird... Doesn't he know we have a field trip tomorrow? We need our rest! 

She proclaims this while twirling in midair so her back hits the covers. 

Pyrrha: (angrily) I'm sure our leader knows exactly what he's doing. 

Nora and Ren exchange glances, not knowing that Jaune himself is looking in through the crack of the door.

Nora: Mmmm... I guess so.

Jaune hangs his head and closes the door, he was regretting what he said to Pyrrha. 

(flashback) 

Jaune and Pyrrha were on a balcony together. Jaune was looking down over the rail with a glum look.

Jaune: I don't belong here...

Pyrrha: Yes you do.

Jaune: No, I don't. I wasn't really accepted into Beacon.

Pyrrha: What do you mean?

Jaune: I mean I didn't go to combat school! I didn't pass any test! I didn't earn my spot at this Academy! I lied. I got my hands on some fake transcripts and I lied.

Pyrrha: (shocked) W-What? Why?

Jaune: Because this is what I always wanted to be! My father, My grandfather, and his father before him were all warriors! They were all heroes! I wanted to be one too. I was just never good enough. And after seeing what Y/N did, just solidifies that fact. Everyone loves him! He's cool, strong, good looking, and is able to stand up to jerks like Cardin!

Pyrrha: Then let us help you!

Jaune: I don't want help! I don't want to be the damsel in distress! I want to be the hero! I am tired of being the lovable idiot, stuck in the tree while his friends fight for their lives! If I can't do this on my own then what good am I?!

Pyrrha looked down and nodded softly.

Pyrrha: If that's what you want...

(flashback ended) 

Ruby: Hey Jaune! 

Startled, Jaune turns around to see Ruby in her pajamas, and she giggles at his reaction.

Ruby: Long time, no see! Did you lock yourself out again?

Jaune: Oh, uh, nope! (raises his Scroll, attempting to laugh) Got it!

Ruby: So! Where have you been lately?

Jaune: I, uh...

He tries to come up with something, but just sighs and lowers his head.

Jaune: I messed up. I did something I shouldn't have, and now Cardin has me on a leash, and Pyrrha won't even talk to me, and... (breathers heavily through his nose) I'm starting to think coming to this school was a bad idea. (presses his back to his team's door and slides down to the floor in depression) I'm a failure.

Ruby: Nope!

Jaune: (looking at her in surprise) Nope?