The Tree

Who know something about a tree could be so special? 

I led all three of them into the forest back to the lab, "I have to get more oxygen but I'll be right out," I tell them.  I run inside and grab more oxygen leaving behind the empty.  "Are you guys ready?"

"Yes sweetheart" Neteyam called to me causing me to blush and hide my smile especially with his parents there.

I continued leading them through the forest to tree. The forest around us was beautiful and I could just see how much they missed it. I felt like they really needed to see this wonderful work of Eywa. There was this stone path way to it the we had gotten to and I stopped and turned around.

"I'm not sure if this tree really is special but it is to me. I have no idea how it grew." I told them unsure if they really needed to see this tree.

"I'm sure it's beautiful and we'd love to see it y/n," Jake said Neytiri nodding and agreeing with him I looked at Neteyam and he grabbed my hand and kissed it, "im sure whatever kind of tree it is, Eywa meant to put it there" he told me.

I smiled and while still holding Neteyams hand we walked down the path of stones to the glowing tree. Before we even got fully to it I heard Neytiri gasp like she knew what it was. I continued guiding them on the stones that now let up to this tree in hiding with beautiful grass all around it.

Neytiri ran to it and fell on her knees with tears forming in her eyes. "Do you know what this is?" She asked me kind of rhetorical because I obviously didn't.

"No, when I arrived here when I was younger, it wasn't here. I planted my parents belongings right there and a week later this sprouted here." I stated walking closer to it admiring it's beauty. It's grown since the last time I was here. "I took it as a sign that Eywa was watching over me" I finished and looked at them and they were just dazzled.

The freckles on their face were brighter than before and looked like the night sky was painted on the their face. I was admiring all of them.

"This is the tree of souls y/k," Neteyam told me walking behind me getting closer to the tree as well. "Its a way we can communicate with Eywa and see what we need to see," he said looking in my eyes.

"Can we?" Neytiri asked me, with hopeful eyes, like I was gonna say no. "Of course you can, I'm glad I showed you guys this," I said telling all of them as they took their Queue and connected it to the tree as I saw them take a breath of air.

Neteyam was the first one out of his vision, when he looked at me and ran over and picked me up. "I truly cannot thank you enough y/n, we truly owe you one" he said giving a hug.

"We really do," Neytiri said looking at me like I was just a human but someone she could trust. "I believe Eywa was trying to tell you she was watching over you because this tree could have grown anywhere, but it grew where you buried something personal" she finished saying with a smile.

Her and Jake both looked at each other after looking at Neteyam and I still looking at each other, "I think we're going to go back to the hut," Jake said.  "Do you want us to come back dad?" Neteyam asked.  "You guys are fine to stay here if you want, we won't mind," Neytiri said as they started to walk away. 

I looked about to Neteyam and just smiled.  I could tell slowly, I was getting feeling for him.  It's wrong, I know it is, but I can't help it.  Maybe it's just one sided feelings...

Neteyam walked me over to the part under the tree with the soft grass and sat down with me following right behind him.  I sat by him close, his mere presence was enough to make my stomach get butterflies.  But I can't keep getting closer to him, he has to find himself a mate, someone he can actually be with.

Neteyams pov:

I sat by her with my feelings growing stronger every day.  She is special and I want to be with her.  My parents can see that and that's what counts but y/n has a magnetic pull.

I turned my head to look at her, she looked so peaceful and gorgeous under the tree.  The lights hitting her just right. I want to tell her how I feel while she's in my arms but I don't want to ruin anything.  She glanced at me and rolled her eyes.

I know she joking by having an attitude with me and that always makes me smile.  She's so terrific and such a great person.  My mom was right though she is just human but so was my dad. 

"Y/n," I spoke softly into her ear.

"Yes Neteyam," she responded.  Her voice is perfect, I could hear her talk all day if she wanted to.

"I care so much about you," I start out by telling her and I feel her body shift towards me so I do the same to her holding her face in my hands, "today I heard you, you're past," looking into her eyes I continue, "you're beautiful, and you're strong, I can see me with you... I've been flirting with you, and you've been flirting with me so I can hope you feel the same way"

She suddenly backs up a little bit which is throwing me off, "y/n, i see you, I see all of you," I look at her with hopeful eyes but I see the opposite in her eyes while I wait for a response.

"Neteyam," she whispers looking away... I fucked up.