Chapter 2 The Beanstalk

Narrated by Kaylee

     Morning came quickly. Two trays of repugnant-looking mush were set on a small, wooden table beside our bed. Because it was better than going hungry, we forced ourselves to eat it. Upon entering the dining hall because of a mouthwatering smell that lured us in, we saw a splendid-looking breakfast spread out on a large table, and Rumpelstiltskin was on the far end of it, feasting away and guzzling down wine. He glanced up at our approach, and after dabbing his mouth with a cloth, he said, "Sleep well, Dearies? Hope you did because I need you to have all your strength for your mission today."

     "Mission?" I repeated. "You never said anything about missions in the contract."

     "Sounds like you two did not read the fine print in the deal," Rumpelstiltskin replied. "It's all in the contract. See for yourselves." Immediately, he appeared the contract into his hand and shoved it into our faces. We read it and realized how much we had really agreed to unknowingly. "See, as plain as day," he added, pointing to the first few sentences. "Now this is all on you."

     "Now what's the mission you want us to go on?" I asked with a heavy sigh.

     "I need you two to procure something for me, but it won't be easy," Rumpelstiltskin responded. "You will need to climb a beanstalk to reach a giant's lair where you shall find what I need."

     "Wait, are you serious?" I questioned dubiously. "Is this a joke? You actually want us to climb a beanstalk to get to a giant's lair?" It's just like from the fairy tale, Jack and the beanstalk, I thought.

     "Indeed," he replied. "Now don't look so surprised, Deary. Beanstalks may be rare, but they very well exist and have been climbed before."

     At that response, Aubrey and I exchanged shocked glances. This fairy tale stuff was becoming real which was insane.

     "So, if a beanstalk exists, wouldn't that mean that magic beans are here since they grow on beanstalks?" I asked with hope, and Aubrey cast me a thrilled expression.

     "Unfortunately, Deary, those who climbed the beanstalk already took the last, remaining beans, so now none remain," Rumpelstiltskin replied.

     Aubrey and I cast disappointed glances, then I questioned suspiciously, "How do we know you are telling the truth?"

     "You don't have to take my word for truth, but if you don't believe me, then try searching for one yourselves," he replied. "But you would only be wasting your time."

     Aubrey and I sighed with disappointment. I then changed the subject, playfully saying, "Anyway, I'm guessing Jack was the first to climb the beanstalk and to find the magic beans."

     "That is correct," Rumpelstiltskin replied. "You must have heard about him."

     "Wait... what?" Aubrey questioned, widening her eyes with surprise. "And I thought Jack was just a fairy tale story!" Then she glanced at me and added, "Could that mean we are actually in a fairy tale realm?"

     "I guess so!" I exclaimed with shock. "I'm sure we are going to see a lot of surprises. Do fairies even exist?" I asked, turning back to Rumpelstiltskin.

     "Yes, now no more jibber jabbering," he replied impatiently. "There's no time to waste. Now as I was saying, this object I need you both to find for me, which is up in the giant's lair, is the Dreamstone, a blue stone to be exact."

     "What's a Dreamstone for, and why do you need it?" Aubrey asked curiously.

     "All you should know is that a Dreamstone is a very powerful object that gives one the ability to communicate with someone they think of," Rumpelstiltskin began. "It works when one is holding the stone then thinks of who they desire to speak to. Then they enter the dream world of the other person only if that other person is sleeping. But it's none of your concern of whom I want to speak to."